Is the 12" Superdrive PB a good value still?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Tamer Brad, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

May 13, 2005
    If all goes well, I might be getting into a deal with a friend leaving me with around $1600 to spend on Amazon. Since I don't have a computer right now, I was thinking of just going straight for the 12" PB with Superdrive. This one:

That's the one I'm looking at. I'm not thinking about waiting a month for updates or the Intel thing. i just want to know if it's a good value now, or if I should just get an ibook and some extra goodies. Keep in mind that I think resell value is important.
  2. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    If you are worried about resell value, I say definately get a PowerBook over a iBook. If you look on eBay, PowerBooks sell much higher then that of the iBook. They can be the same specs almost but PB seem to always be more of a demand. Given you are paying more but you may also get more back...

In most cases when I was shopping around, I see PB a year old still sell for about 1000 or more. Thats pretty DAMN good considering how a top of the line PC laptop can lose half its value in 6 months.
  3. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2004
    well no apple laptops are really a "good value" (spec wise not os wise) but compared to other apple laptops the powerbook is still an ok deal
  4. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    This kind of attitude is really beginning to annoy me. They are still fantastic value. For what you get they rock big time.

They are still top of the heap once you add up power/battery-life/aesthetics/ports/screens/build quality/keyboards/size/weight/built-in blue tooth/built in wireless/OS.

Sure other companies make laptops that may compete with one or two of these features but I've seen nothing that competes with the overall package. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

If you need it now buy it now. If not then perhaps you might as well wait until the next rev that could happen between now and mid next year. As far as resale value goes the current powerbooks definitely hold their value well- but who knows what will happen after the Intel switch. With universal binaries it shouldn't matter too much (logically) but unfortunately people tend to buy emotionally :).
  5. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2005
    I just bought one and have no regrets. The whole Intel thing isn't bothering me a great deal. By the time the Intel books come about and the Rev B or Rev C are finally out, then it would be time to update anything probably. As fun as it would be to be a first, there is no way I'd buy a Rev A Intel Powerbook.
  6. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    The 12" PoweBook is still one of the best values Apple offers in a laptop.

If you qualify for the education discount, you should be able to get that SuperDrive model for $1499.00

Spend the difference on 3rd party RAM
  7. ajampam macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2005
    I have recently purchased a 12 incher with rocks!!! I wouldnt bother about the mactels just yet....if you need a good laptop now, I think the 12' is a good bet....if yo are a college (or to-be) student, then the edu discounts are till sept 24th or if you are still waiting to see if there could be any PB updates, you could wait a while....but personally I did not know there is an impending update around the corner all the time...if there is a configuration that fits my needs now, why wait!!? But that said, I am myself waiting to see how the mactels shape up and will get a 2nd gen 15' PB...but anyways....All the best man!!!
  8. weg macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    I don't know which screen you got with your PB 12", mine is definitely not top of the heap (about 120cd/m^2). The superdrive is absolutely overpriced (200 bucks for a non-DL DVD burner that is marketed as 8x, but performs only 2x-4x most of the time).
    I love my PB, though, but I do understand people who say that they are overpriced.
  9. TBi macrumors 68030

Jul 26, 2005
    Slightly off topic sorry...

I hate to bring this off topic but since there are so many powerbook users replying i'd like to ask you a question.

On my iBook i installed iScroll2 which gave me two finger scrolling like the PowerBook. One of the options lets you perform a right click by holding two fingers on the mouse pad and clicking the button. Does this work on the PowerBooks? Or is there a modification to do this? I really REALLY find this functionality useful and is something apple should incorporate in if they haven't already.

Right-click functionality with only one mouse button that you can only really activate if you know it's there, sounds like the new mighty mouse...

Again sorry for bringing this off topic...
  10. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    I got the exact same one for $1,200. A difference of $100 didn't really matter to me, since it included a bigger harddrive. I thoough it was worth it. Then, again my budget was for $1,200 and its almost a nessacary for me. I also got Edu discount, so that all changes in your case. Neverthless, I think its worth it, two years down the road everyone will have a DVD burner and you'll feel if you still using Floppy disks without it.