Is the 17" AlBook laptop-usable?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kaosfere, Nov 14, 2003.

1. kaosfere macrumors member

Hi.

I've been planning on getting a 15" AlBook, but between the interminable shipping delays and the dodgy quality -- some people still reporting display problems *after* the fix -- I'm thinking about upgrading to the 17" instead.

I'm not planning on going mobile very much at all -- perhaps to a friends house or a coffee shop every now and then -- but the entire reason that I want a laptop rather than a desktop is so that I can be untethered around the house.

I want to be able to sit crosslegged on the couch and use the laptop, er, in my lap. I'm concerned that the 17", while it would be great on a desk, might just be too durn big to use as a lounging-around laptop.

What do those who have it think?

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

if ur going to be moving around a lot, or want to be comfortable on the couch, I recommend the 15". Best of both worlds: big screen, and not so massive that you cant use it comfortably.

3. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

I have a 17 incher, and I take it around everywhere for my work. As big as it seemed when I first saw it, you soon get very used to it. I don't think you get the best of both worlds with a 15" Albook because quite simply, the screen's 2" smaller! Just look at the difference 3" make on the cinema displays.
    Anyway, back to the point. I think that if it's simply that you want to carry your powerbook around the house and sometimes take it out to a friend's place, then the 17 incher will be great. No problem at all. Plus you get to really show it off!:p

4. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

I have the 15 inch aluminum powerbook, and my dad has the 17 inch, he has never had a single problem, but i will soon be getting my third display.

as far as mobility goes, i bring it to school and home. It is fine for all that, i sit confertably in my chair at home watching tv.

my dad brings his to work, and home, he does the same as i at home, and has no problem. it is large at first, but you do get used to it.

Oh and sometimes when i am on my 15 incher, i think of how i would prefer the 17 incher, because the 15.2 inch screen just isn;t always large enough.

aethier

5. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

is it usable? you bet it is! I use mine around the house everyday, moving from room to room - I have even mastered balancing it on one hand while I walk and type. I bring it to lectures fairly often, and it is quite comfortable on my lap, as it's width allows for lots of variations in seating position. The weight is certainly not an issue for me, then again I have never owned a lighter laptop.

I think the screen size advantage is huge, it really does make it one of the most useful machines you could ever own: portable & productive. I know the cost is great but I think it has been worth it, and I have never had a single glitch with the pbook. I love "HMS Invincible" (as it has been named, due to its aircraft carrier sized aluminium deck) like no other system before her time. kudos to Apple on this one!

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Would you really want to show off a 17"? All the girls at school will think that you were trying to compensate for something... ;)

7. Prabz macrumors member

Whoa...that's the first thing I said to my friend while enumerating my reasons for prefering the 15 inch to the 17...:D

Not that the 17 inch isn't superior to the 15, it definitely IS. But personally, being an artist (Graphic-Designer-in-the-making;)), I find the aesthetics of the 17-inch rather klunky as well. And even though it is merely a difference of 2 inches and 1.3 pounds, the laptop looks humongous, and feels too heavy to me.
    But then again really, these are just secondary issues. If performance is what you are after and want to have a *safer* bet against receiving a PB with any/all screen-problems, then definitely go for the 17 inch. I'm sure, portability should not be that big an issue. Enjoy your PB!!

Cheers!
    Prabz<ahem> 15~incher~here;), by the way!

8. kaosfere thread starter macrumors member

Well, I did it. 17" on the way. Estimated delivery date Friday.

*bounce*

Thanks for the input.

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Aaaahhhh!!!!!

Oh man! Children, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

I have an insurance rider that covers my laptop against accidental damage, but... man you are tempting fate! What if you trip over the dog?

10. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

Re: Aaaahhhh!!!!!

don't worry, I have good sized hands, and it is really very safe. It is really cool walking between areas of the house at night, because depending on the lighting in a particular room, you get the coolness of the screen and keyboard changing brightness dynamically as you move. trust me looks cool and is safe - and makes me feel powerful :cool:

11. g808 macrumors regular

I totally agree! I was in your position. I wanted to get the new 15", but after hearing about all the potential problems and delayed deliveries I decided to suck it up and get the 17" and I'm very happy I did.

The .5" height difference is very noticable to me and the extra screen size is great. I don't even notice how "big" it is anymore. It feels absolutely normal to me.

I take it to and from work with no problem (Brenthaven 17" backpack is great). I also carry it around with me from my desks to meetings. I'm lounging on the couch right now and it fits nicely in my lap. This will of course depend on your size. I'm 6 feet and so I guess that helps make it feel more confortable to me.

I have to admit I do like the attention I get from my co-workers, who always have something complementary to say. :)

12. ksz macrumors 68000

Re: Is the 17" AlBook laptop-usable?

I enjoy using my PowerBook while sitting on the carpet; it's more comfortable for me so when I found this...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...ef=sr_1_1/601-9887940-1442565?asin=B00009Q9C0

...I bought one right away. It has enough clearance for me to cross my legs and the coffee holder on the side is a sweet touch.