Is the 17 in G4 iMac max SODIMM greater than spec?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Sonic Idiot, Mar 7, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2007
    Greetings. I've searched this forum, but could not find an answer to a pretty straight up question.

Apple specs for the 17" iMac G4 state each slot (one user accessible, one not) can take a 512 meg chip. But I've read that this spec is under inflated and that the machine will accept a 1 gig SODIMM in the user slot and perform beyond the state maximum RAM spec. Has anyone done this? Is the max spec too low?

Currently, the machine has a 256 meg chip in each slot (PC2700).

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2006
    I have a 17" 1GHz iMac G4 with 1.25Gb of ram. The non-user accessible slot has a 256Mb dimm and I have upgraded the user accessible slot to a 1Gb sodimm. Long story short it is possible, and it runs great.
  3. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Ever since the first iMac came out, users have discovered that Apple's max memory specs for these machines have been conservative. I know that many of the CRT G3 iMacs could accept 50-100% more RAM than they were officially able to. I have had no experience with this on the G4 iMacs though.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2007

I was hoping to hear that. Seems like $100 well spent. Thanks for the reply.