Is the 2 GHz MBP upgrade worth it for college?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by codycartoon, Apr 24, 2006.

1. codycartoon macrumors regular

Hello,

This fall I will be attending either Chapman University's Dodge College of Film, or Columbia University's School of General Studies, and I am trying to decided whether or not it is worth it to spend $500 and get the upgraded MacBook Pro. In addition to the processor, the upgrade includes double the ram and double the memory in the video card.

I will need a computer that will be able to survive the 4 years and possibly beyond but $500 seems like a lot for a little improvement. I do design work professionally and intense editing in Final Cut Pro, although I don't use too much motion type software. I have $3000 to work with and I'm not exactly sure how I should spend it. In addition to the computer I will need apple care, an external hard-drive (500-1000GB, RAID, eSATA?), a dvi to ADC converter (for my 15inch studio display $100), upgraded ram (third party, an additional 1 gig) and also an ultra-compact digital camera. If I drop 2300 (student discount) on the computer I will have very little to spend on everything else. If I can get the computer for 1800 + 300 for applecare I will have $900 for everything else.

What would you recommend I buy? Also, what is the deal with eSATA and how does it work with the Mac Book? I am moving to Manhattan in a few weeks for the summer so if I had left over money that would be choice. Also, I have been doing intensive editing over the past three years on a 867 G4 quicksilver with 256mb ram so the MacBook will be a ridiculous improvement. (If anyone is interested in buying the quicksilver, let me know, it rocks)

I have enough money to be flexible and I know you guys are creative so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

-cody

P.S. I can't wait for the student discount specials in the summer, I need this computer for work ASAP.

2. ucscc10 macrumors member

i'm going to be in a similar situation (right now trying to find buyers for my ibook and powermac)- but one thing you might want to think about would be doing the apple student developer connection. for $99 you get $500 off a computer. way better savings, plus leopard when it comes out.