is the 30" ACD the latest monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phuong, Sep 19, 2006.

1. phuong macrumors 6502a

hi gang.
    i'm about to purchase 2 monitors. but before going on and place the order, i would like to know if there's any rumors about any new LCD coming up? if not, about when will there be?

i plan to use these LCD (with my MP) for about 1.5-2 years.

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

there are rumors of new lcds but no clue when they will come out. supposively they will have mini micro cams stiched in with the pixels and some sftware will take all the images and make them one big image, so essentialy having a isight camera built into the display, but in a way you wont notice it

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's not a realistic rumor at this time. iSight cameras built into the monitor bezel are a definite possibility, but the technology you're talking about (while real) won't find itself into commercial products (especially Apple displays) anytime soon. Mass production of that technology is non-existent and the cost will preclude it from being included in mainstream monitors for quite some time.

4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

If you need them now then buy them now, they did recently have a price drop on them so it'll be a while before any updates come.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Oh... theres one more thing..! :D

6. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

im sorry i didnt track that price drop.
    so, how much did they drop and how long has it been?. a price drop could mean new products coming soon..

of course i wont wait for too long. i never did. i'll buy them latest by beginning of October, no matter what. i just wanna know what i am (or probably will) missing if i buy them now.

by the way, the apple care for MP says "with or without monitors" so that means my MP apple care covers those both monitors, correct?

7. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

yes as long as you buy them at the same time.

8. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Generally speaking, price drops doesn't mean new products are coming soon. If I was you I'd just buy them now, don't worry about future upgrades, they are only monitors, pretty decent ones at that.

9. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh well.. that means i'm not covered now?

but from what i read at the specification here, the M8850LL/B covers both the MP and any displays

maybe i'm getting it wrong?

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

From the coverage information in that document (bold is mine):