Is the 3yr Apple HE warranty transferable?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shankqiu, Mar 28, 2007.

1. shankqiu macrumors member

I bought a 20" iMac from UK Higher Education online store on 18/10/06.
    It came automatically with 3 year HE warranty.

I want to sell it to my friend recently, and he wants to know if the 3 year warranty is transferable for him (he is also qualified as HE student).
    If it is, what he should do to transfer it, or he will need to do nothing, the warranty stays the same?

There was a place to check the current warranty days left on apple support website, but it disappears. Is there another way I can check how many days left for the warranty?

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I am not to sure about the warranty policies of the UK, but it should be.

3. shankqiu thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.
    Is there a T&C about that? I don't find any statement ralted to warranty transfering.:confused:

4. bmat macrumors 6502

If it's not in the terms and conditions then it probably is. Just to be sure, I'd check the original warranty terms and conditions too, just in case those are incorporated into applecare. I know in the U.S. the original warranty specifies that only the original end user is covered (which most U.S. warranties do), so I imagine that Apple would try to do that outside of the U.S. as well, if those countries permit such limitations on warranties.

5. shankqiu thread starter macrumors member

here is the T&C:
    http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk_inst/Images/salespolicies_individual.html

it does say 36 months, but I cannot see how many days left on Apple support website.:confused:

6. bmat macrumors 6502

I assume this is the 3 year warranty:
    10.1.1 All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period commencing from the date of purchase (the date of your invoice).

The one-year links above to these terms and conditions:

Apple’s warranty obligations are limited to the terms set forth below: Apple, as defined below, warrants this Apple-branded hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser (“Warranty Period”).

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/worldwidewarranty.html

Now, I guess you could argue it was excepted from the 10.1.1. But it probably applies -- the documentation in the computer itself (is this language in the box) probably tells you what apple thinks.

7. bmat macrumors 6502

If you bought it in October 2006, then it expires in October 2009, right?

8. shankqiu thread starter macrumors member

I think so, but on the apple support page, I was able to see how many days left for the warrnaty, but now they seems removed that function.

ps. I only checked the warranty using that website for my macbook which was bought 2 weeks earlier than the imac... and it only showed 1year warranty althought I bought it through HE online store as well.
    I didn't check the warranty status of my imac until that function disappeared..:mad: