Is the ACD 30" TOO big?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Grokgod, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    Is the ACD 30" TOO big? for application work.

Sure its great for watching DVD's but I jsut got a new ACD 30"
    Not sure if I have to get used to it but it seems HUGE.

The menus at the top of my applications are so tiny, and all the way across what seems like a chasm of space.

I have to tilt my head to view them not move my eyes as I used to on a 20"

I am interested in hearing opinions of the subject of what is TOO big for application work etc?

also is there a way to enlarge the fonts in the menus?

Jesus , is it crazy to work with a 30" display screen beaming into your eyes and head?
  2. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    It's not too big for me, it's too expensive! I wish I had one, but I'm sure the high resolution and sheer largeness of the display make it difficult for some users that don't do graphics work
  3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    I think before investing in an ACD 30" i would have sat in front of one for a while to see if it's exactly what I want.

I fiddle with digital photography, and could definately see the advantage of a screen that size, I could work with high resolutions without major resizing for example... or have some doco open on one side, and some digital work on the other, or whatever.

To me, only you can tell if the screen is too big or not...

I wonder.... is this thread a 'look at me, i have an ACD 30" ' thread?
  4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    After you use it for a couple weeks, you'll think it's not big enough.
  5. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    i think it is;)

as for it being too big,
    There's no such thing as "too big".

well, if you feel the need to downsize, you could always give it to me;) :p
  6. ipacmm macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    It will looks really big when you first bring it home because in the Apple store it feels small but once you get it home it looks and feels huge. It will take some time to get used to it.
  7. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

May 17, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    I'd like to see large displays that curve inward so that the edges are the same distance from your eye as the center. Such a display could be less wide, and you could "take it all in" with your eye without having to scan.
  8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Why not just reduce the resolution to something is more usable? I haven't a clue what the max res. is on that thing, but wow... I would be weary of having one as I think there should be a rule that your Monitor should not be bigger than your TV.

(unless your monitor is your TV).
  9. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2005
    New Jersey
    You'll get used to it. I felt the same way about my 20-incher... now I wouldn't settle for anything less.
  10. glassbathroom macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    This is the key. Once you have a 30" display, there is no going back. You are spoilt for life.:p

Personally I think the 23" dispay is the best.
  11. Lau Guest

Or one that was like the inside of half a sphere that you put your head in, like in the Sea Life centre! If you had a swivel chair, you could have one set of apps behind you and another set in front and just swivel round, and put iTunes above your head and look up when you wanted to skip a track. :)
  12. joebells macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2005
    my tv is 55 inches so I guess it's ok for me to get a 30" acd. Actually if I were buying I think I would go with the dell 30" instead a little more reasonably priced.
  13. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    Do NOT change the resolution!! In View Options, change the size of the fonts and/or icon size.

You'll get used to the size -- it's great!
  14. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Or just install the resolution independence (?) pref pane from the XCode Dev tools cd. I'm not sure how exactly to install it or use it, but I know that it's there and others on MR know how to use it. Could someone who knows explain it to him?
  15. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    thanks to all for the help.

This is not a " look I have a 30" acd" , uhh why would it be, it isnt that big a deal. Wait till I get the 103" plasma, that would be a big deal uhh maybe.

I always have the best of everything so to me this is NOTHING.

I was thinking that maybe I could get used to it.

I do notice that you visually use the center of the screen.
    and then I have been moving the panel to be able to see down the line to the next window.

The expanse is so great that it almost seems silly to have to peer across the desk to see the time in the right hand corner..LOL

I use SHOP and 3d programs etc.
    Maybe when I load Logic the realestate will seem fantastic.

Although I DO think that this model is superior to the 23" due to its Contrast ratio being superior!

The images are just beautiful and at first boot it has a wow factor that the 23" didnt create, but that doesnt help my issue of functionality.

I have a 50" TV, but I am not reading text with my head next to it, looking up at menus.

I hope that time reduces the impression of the size and my fears of radiation!

Or its back to the store!
  16. Squareball macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    So I have a 24" Dell and I often think "god I wish this was bigger". In photoshop I still have to hid palettes when working with 1024x768 mockups. When I'm coding and I have two files open side by side I still have to resize them a lot to view things the way I want for each one I'm editing.

24" is great, 30" would be better IMO.. then I pickup my MBP and go downstairs and I am like "oh yeah.. this is even worse".
  17. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    30" LCD is the minimum I think if you're working with hi-res digital photos or editing High Definition video. Anything else is just too tiny. If you have two 30" LCDs side-by-side, you'll need a long desk and a chair with wheels to dolly back and forth between the monitors. :)
  18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Probably too small, especially if you buy the new 103" plasma television.
  19. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

May 17, 2006
    Maryland, USA

It's 2560 by 1680. It works out to 100 dots (pixels) per inch--the same as the 23. That's the same density as 1600 by 1200 running on a 21-inch CRT or a 20.1-inch LCD. However, because you must keep the 30 farther away, desktop elements may need to be enlarged.

I'd like twin 23s or twin 24s, portrait style, for 2400 across by 1920 high.
  20. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    I have the desktops elements fromview options all the way up and it is tolerable, but I would like it a bit larger.

So true about photoshop, which is one of my main motivations, that and Logic that eats realestate like a tornado in florida.

Still when I tried to play my FAV Civ 4 on it, it was black screen all the way, weird.!

I plan to do HD when the new Powermacs comeout, this WWDC.
    So I am hoping that the 30" will prove useful despite the fact that the 23" will paly HD.

And most editors also use a plasma screen for the deeper blacks etc to help viewing the final composites.

I have also read that the 30" has more trouble with color than the 23'

I think that I will try a Matrix DVD to convince me to keep it, that always works!

Oh whats really weird, is when attatched to my MBP, the mouse will not spanat the bottom of the ACD to it! weird
  21. camomac macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Left Coast
    you'll get use to it, and after a while it won't seem so big.

thats when the really problems begin. you'll start to wonder what 2 would look like.:D
  22. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
  23. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Naturally. :rolleyes:
  24. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I actually find mine a bit small...I've had it for a few months and, working with HD video in Final Cut Pro on a daily basis with Motion, DVD Studio Pro, and Photoshop open all at the same time, a 42" would be pretty nice.
  25. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    Having the best of everything is compensating for having a little of something else. ;)