Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellokevin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2016
Long Beach, CA
I'm looking to purchase the 27" iMac 5K and have been holding out due to the rumored announcement of the 2016s. I plan on using it to edit 4K footage in Final Cut Pro X and edit pictures in Adobe Lightroom, no hardcore gaming (separate PC for that), no 3D rendering (just the typical stabilization and LUTs), no After Effects or any other programs in the foreseeable future. The fact that I'm using FCPx which is optimized well on Apple's machines means any performance gain for me will be negligible in my eyes. A few seconds faster in rendering and exporting will not matter to me, which is why I'm focusing purely on the USB-C ports being my main concern.

I plan on having a 1TB SSD internally and importing and editing raw pictures files on it. I plan on having two external SSDs (Samsung T3) to hold my video files for editing. Then I have 4 HDDs in an enclosure for storage after everything is done. This makes three 3.0 USB ports are taken up from these alone, but I'll have a small USB 3.0 hub connected giving me another 4 to use, so I'm not concerned with having a limited number of ports.

Assuming that they add USB-C ports to the new iMac, is there a huge benefit to having those ports that will justify getting the 2016 model alone, or should I wait for the 2016 models to come out so the price will drop on these 2015 models? Will it help make my daily use of the machine more convenient? Will the benefits of future proofing be a major plus for me, or can I live with the speeds of USB 3.0 for a few more years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.