Is the Aiport the only option for wirless on a Mac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LethalWolfe, Feb 7, 2003.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Or can you use "standard" wireless routers w/Macs (both lap and desktop). On the flip side could a PC be networked w/an Airport station?

Thanx,

Lethal

2. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

For most apple portables, its best to use the airport card, so you dont use up the PCMCIA slot, but the iBook and 12" PBook don't have a PCMCIA slot, so you must use apples card. They work fine with any 802.11b (or G nowadays). It also works just fine the other way, they all use the same WiFi protocol.

3. bombensington macrumors regular

Re: Is the Aiport the only option for wirless on a Mac?

yes. i use the netgear mr814 wireless router. it was a snap to set up on my mac, and works great.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Re: Is the Aiport the only option for wirless on a Mac?

Either way works fine. Any certified 802.11B/802.11G product will interoperate. Airport is 802.11B, Airport Extreme is 802.11G

5. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

6. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Make sure you can configure your wireless router/base station/etc with a mac (I think through html). Most PC wireless products do allow for this, but double check to make sure.

7. Codemonkey macrumors 6502

Yup - and to that end, different routers have different features/interfaces - some are horrible. Feature sets/interfaces of routers can be compared to say the menus of a DVD player - some have really good, intuitive menus, and others have such bad usability that you'll only ever go into the menu once (which is a shame, as sometimes that's were the fun goodies are).

The benefit of using Apple's airport is that it's controllable right from the OS, not from some hokey HTML page.

My .02 CDN.