Is the Airport Extreme for me...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by slick316, Feb 9, 2007.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

They have a couple at the Apple Store and I am wondering if I should pick this up to replace my 2 month old Belkin 802.11n router. The Belkin is nice, when it works, but I find that I have to restart it every couple days to connect to the internet wirelessly.

I got lots of plans for the AE, hopefully someone here can answer my questions as nobody in the Apple Store was able to on Monday when I went.

1. I want to WIRE up my 360, Media Center PC (MCE 2005 based), and ethernet based laser printer, I have no doubt the 360 and PC will work, but will my printer work? It works now with the Belkin.

2. Wirelessly, I would like to connect my MBP C2D, PS3, and Wii. Will this be possible with WAP?

3. My desktop PC uses a PCI Belkin Wireless N interface card, currently, through lack of driver support for Vista, this card is seen as a G card, but as question #2, should I have issues connecting this wirelessly using WAP?

4. I have a 160GB external HD. I mainly use it to store photos and documents I use often. I would like to plug this into the USB port of the router and share it among the wired Media Center PC, and to the wirelessly connected desktop PC running Vista and my MBP C2D. How much of an issue will this be?

Any help would be appreciated. I might pick this up tonight if I can gather all the info above to my favor.

Thanks in advance.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

1 I'd have thought so.
    2. and 3. It's WPA not WAP ;), that's mobile phone internet. The Wireless N card will work at least at wireless G speeds. The other stuff should work fine

4. Not sure, but I think so.

EDIT:
    So media center will be fine, Vista support isn't their yet, but should be soon.

3. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

hah, I knew it wasn't WAP, but WPA didn't seem right either, lol.

I might give it a shot, could always return it if it sucks, but I hope not, haven't had much luck with Wireless N routers.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

This wireless router is actually very good.

Apart from the usual Apple scrimping (no GbE ports) everything else on the device is top notch.