Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
For the longest time I have been planning on getting the 20-inch model, but recently I've been thinking of just going for the 23-inch. I can get it for $1099 with the .edu discount, which isn't too bad. And I know I can get the Dell 2405FPW for a hundred or two less, but I really want to keep the Apple style going on my desk. I already have a 2005FPW for my Windows machine and feel I could really use more than 20 inches of workspace. I work with Photoshop a lot, and tend to multi-task most of the time. This display will be going with my PowerBook G4 for the time being, as I am getting a Power Mac G5 very soon. So long post short: is the extra three inches worth the extra cash? I really want to have something better than my Windows setup. ;)

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
The Dell screens are great monitors for the price but if the difference is only a $100 or so, then you may want to go with the Apple just to have a sweet matching setup ;) Both displays are great and the extra space is always handy.

aesth3tic

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
University of Washington
p0intblank said:
For the longest time I have been planning on getting the 20-inch model, but recently I've been thinking of just going for the 23-inch. I can get it for $1099 with the .edu discount, which isn't too bad. And I know I can get the Dell 2405FPW for a hundred or two less, but I really want to keep the Apple style going on my desk. I already have a 2005FPW for my Windows machine and feel I could really use more than 20 inches of workspace. I work with Photoshop a lot, and tend to multi-task most of the time. This display will be going with my PowerBook G4 for the time being, as I am getting a Power Mac G5 very soon. So long post short: is the extra three inches worth the extra cash? I really want to have something better than my Windows setup. ;)

23" are true HD. the 20" ACDs aren't. But if you plan on getting a powermac g5 soon...maybe get a 20" acd now and another later :)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
aesth3tic said:
23" are true HD. the 20" ACDs aren't.

this means nothing more than that you can edit 720p HD video with both in full size frames, but you cannot do the same for 1080i with 20". it's all about how much space you NEED.

(pro audio folks for example will like 23" size, because that allows having both mix and edit windows open simultaneously on one screen. traditionally we have been using two screens. that's a real-world need, which makes 23" more valuable than 20" -- but it's up to you to decide.)

1nsanity

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2005
I went with the dell 24"
Here were my initial criteras:

Apple CD 23"
+beautiful
+HD capable
+Firewire +usb2 mini-hub
+1920x1200 resolution
-Expensive
-Only D-DVI
-Occasionnaly some maufacturing issues (pinkish color) rare but still happens
-Only one year warranty

Dell
+A lot cheaper (got it at 989$ CND that is 410$ off regular price not even including savings on sales taxes)
+HD capable
+embeded usb hub 4 ports
+HDTV Input (cool for xbox 360....when it gets here, or HD tv signal)
+Monitor can tilt vertically
+3 years warranty
-Case is in black (not that bad actually)

I like Apple's designs.....but because I buy hardware to actually work with it style was not a priority. I choose price, warranty and connectivity over style and actually the dell is still good looking imho.

I use my DEll 24fpw with my powerbook, best setup I ever had. Now all I need is a second dell 24fpw and a pcmcia VGA card :p

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I would get the 23" Apple Ciinema Display. I bought one about a year and a half ago to use with my Power Book and it works great and looks even better...

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I'm also buying one soon. A couple of weeks I was in an Apple store and I asked them what the difference was with the new (alu case) and the old one (plastic case, which I could get refurbished). The guy told that the new one has a better response time, which is 16 mS. But I thought the old one also has a 16 mS respone time. Does anyone know this? I'll be using it for webbrowsing, email, webdesign and gaming.

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
if u can afford it... get the bigger screen when possible

it's always a great asset to have the extra working space on ur screen...

i'm thinking about upgrading my 20" to a 23" display too

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I'm definitely leaning towards the 23-inch. For a couple hundred more than the 2405FPW, I'd get:

- better style
- matches my PowerBook and future Power Mac
- I can mount the iSight on the top and it'll still look stylish
- FireWire 400 hub: definitely perfect for the iSight

Not to mention it is a beautiful display! :D I realize the Dell display would give me an inch more of workspace, but I would still rather go for the Apple Cinema Display. The price is a little steep, but I know it will be worth it in the long run.

Oh man... how sweet 23 inches of Mac workspace will look on my desk. :D

Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
i do support ur decision...

that's a cool display that sure impress any of ur visitors

if u are buying it from an apple store...

rememebr to check for dead pixels first

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Chacala_Nayarit said:
I, too, support your decission to go 23", hell if you have the $$$$ go for the 30". :)

LOL I would love the 30-inch mode, but I don't need THAT much workspace. :p I would get one if I had $2500 lying around, but I can spend that kind of money on better things, like towards a Power Mac Quad. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.