Is the base station worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, Jan 10, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

So i kinda have been secretly waiting to replace my ageing D-Link B router with an Apple one and lo and behold one was released yesterday. Its perfect for me, in that i have a new 802.11n based notebook so an 802.11n router is handy.

Wireless printing is also a huge thing for me as i hate cables and the support for HDDs is also not bad. However, this will be my first Apple router and i wanted to know if this is a good buy.

In other words how have Base Stations held up thus far, do they have good ranges? i want this router to last at least 3 years, my previous D-Link router has lasted 4 years and its still chugging along despite the abuse with an awesome range.

What do you guys think, should i go for it?

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Personally, I think the base stations are overpriced.

However, I have only heard good things about them, and many still buy for (1) the Apple logo and (2) the ease of use. I say that if you don't mind the pricetag, you won't be let down.

3. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Isn't the cheapest non-apple 802.11n router over $100? Narrowing price difference seems to make the apple base worth considering if eliminates a lot of problems. This is not a statement/opinion but looking to further discussion.

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

People with technical know-how, or without money, always think Apple's routers are expensive. However they are easy to use. Decide based on what is most important to you.

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

That's true for now, but mostly because N hasn't yet been adopted as a standard. Once it has been, I bet you'll quickly see the usual names (Linksys, Belkin, D-Link, etc) offering much cheaper alternatives than the Airport Base Station.

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yeah, that's true too. I think the Base Station is overpriced, but mostly because I have an IT guy as a fiance who handles our network with ease. I suppose if I was on my own and not wanting to sort through the jumble, then the Base Station would be my best bet.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Mines a little over a year old, and over that year, I've had to manually reset it about 1/10th the amount of times I had to reset the Linksys that it replaced.

The only thing I don't like about the current Airports is that you can't see whose got which DHCP assigned to them.