is the C2D worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by interlaced, Nov 5, 2006.

  1. interlaced macrumors 6502a

    interlaced

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #1
    I'm currently rockin the 2.16ghz Core Duo MBP. I'm wondering if it's worth it to get the C2D Macbook Pro? Let's say I can take advantage of a discount where it'll only end up costing me a few hundred more for the "upgrade".

    I'd be using it for my typical Mail, Safari/Firefox, Adium, iCal in addition to Photoshop, Illlustrator, FCP and DVD Studio Pro. Also for schoolwork with Office and iWork.

    I want a computer that will last a while. I could definitely use the DL Superdrive and the FW800, for sure.

    I'd love any thoughts.
     
  2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

    gr8tfly

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2006
    Location:
    ~119W 34N
    #2
    I have a friend in the same boat. He's on waiting list for 17" MBP C2D. Although he does like having the latest and greatest, I think the processor upgrade, DL drive and FW-800 are enough. I'm sure you've seen some of the benchmarks of CD vs. C2D. It's 10% minimum, and quite a bit more on some of the more intensive apps. I suppose it depends on how much encoding/rendering you do, as to whether the C2D will payoff.

    I'm going from a PBG4 17" 1.67, so I'm really moving up. I've been holding off for the new chip, but it's been hard, especially starting to do a bunch of video. I've persoanlly measured 4x speed difference on video encode between the G4 and 2.16 CD (ffmpeg), so I've been chomping at the bit. But, if I already had a CD, I probably would wait a bit, since I generally don't upgrade but every couple years. (I've had the PBG4 since March 2005)
     
  3. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

    interlaced

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #3
    Yeah, I'd probably gain a lil bit when encoding and stuff. The processor upgrade, FW800, and DL drive sound like they'd be worth it if I want this to last a few more years. Yeah I don't usually upgrade for a few years but those couple of extras seem like they should be worth it.
     
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #4
    A MacBook Pro C2D would last you for quite some time, but so will your current MBP. :)


    Not sure it is worth the cost to upgrade for you unless you can get a good selling price for your current notebook. :)
     
  5. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

    slackersonly

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2006
    #5
    if it will only cost you a couple hundred and you have that money available for this, i would do it.
     
  6. Hunts121 macrumors regular

    Hunts121

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2005
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #6
    I would say its not worth it (based on your current system) until the santa rosa chipset comes out. Which will include a faster FSB among other things. Also its likely the graphics chip will be upgraded then as well.

    just my 2 cents;)
     
  7. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

    bodeh6

    Joined:
    May 18, 2005
    #7
    I would think it is not worth it right now. Once Santa Rosa laptops come out next spring or some time around that time, those should provide a better upgrade then the C2D.
     
  8. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

    interlaced

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #8
    thanks for all the advice. so i guess i'm sticking with this until the next upgrade. :D
     
  9. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #9
    Good plan :D Next upgrade should be good
     
  10. arbitrarycode macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #10
    Don't have a MBP CD, but

    Never owned the CD, but I just go the MBP C2D today and must say it runs COOL! It is cooler than my iBook G4 and a Sony Vaio Pentium M. It gives off a barely perceptible warmth (through jeans), even after 4 hours of constant use.

    Something to consider if you have heat issues.
     

Share This Page