is the C2D worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by interlaced, Nov 5, 2006.

1. interlaced macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2005
    I'm currently rockin the 2.16ghz Core Duo MBP. I'm wondering if it's worth it to get the C2D Macbook Pro? Let's say I can take advantage of a discount where it'll only end up costing me a few hundred more for the "upgrade".

I'd be using it for my typical Mail, Safari/Firefox, Adium, iCal in addition to Photoshop, Illlustrator, FCP and DVD Studio Pro. Also for schoolwork with Office and iWork.

I want a computer that will last a while. I could definitely use the DL Superdrive and the FW800, for sure.

I'd love any thoughts.
  2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    I have a friend in the same boat. He's on waiting list for 17" MBP C2D. Although he does like having the latest and greatest, I think the processor upgrade, DL drive and FW-800 are enough. I'm sure you've seen some of the benchmarks of CD vs. C2D. It's 10% minimum, and quite a bit more on some of the more intensive apps. I suppose it depends on how much encoding/rendering you do, as to whether the C2D will payoff.

I'm going from a PBG4 17" 1.67, so I'm really moving up. I've been holding off for the new chip, but it's been hard, especially starting to do a bunch of video. I've persoanlly measured 4x speed difference on video encode between the G4 and 2.16 CD (ffmpeg), so I've been chomping at the bit. But, if I already had a CD, I probably would wait a bit, since I generally don't upgrade but every couple years. (I've had the PBG4 since March 2005)
  3. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2005
    Yeah, I'd probably gain a lil bit when encoding and stuff. The processor upgrade, FW800, and DL drive sound like they'd be worth it if I want this to last a few more years. Yeah I don't usually upgrade for a few years but those couple of extras seem like they should be worth it.
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    A MacBook Pro C2D would last you for quite some time, but so will your current MBP. :)

Not sure it is worth the cost to upgrade for you unless you can get a good selling price for your current notebook. :)
  5. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    if it will only cost you a couple hundred and you have that money available for this, i would do it.
  6. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2005
    I would say its not worth it (based on your current system) until the santa rosa chipset comes out. Which will include a faster FSB among other things. Also its likely the graphics chip will be upgraded then as well.

just my 2 cents;)
  7. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    I would think it is not worth it right now. Once Santa Rosa laptops come out next spring or some time around that time, those should provide a better upgrade then the C2D.
  8. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2005
    thanks for all the advice. so i guess i'm sticking with this until the next upgrade. :D
  9. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Good plan :D Next upgrade should be good
  10. arbitrarycode macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2006
    Don't have a MBP CD, but

Never owned the CD, but I just go the MBP C2D today and must say it runs COOL! It is cooler than my iBook G4 and a Sony Vaio Pentium M. It gives off a barely perceptible warmth (through jeans), even after 4 hours of constant use.

Something to consider if you have heat issues.