Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Keep in mind that the high price tag isn't a real issue here...

Okay, so Christmas is coming up and my parents are wondering what I want this year. I've told them about the Canon Digital Rebel XT and how awesome of a camera it supposedly is. We have a close friend of our's who has one and I have used it for a couple minutes or so, and I really liked it. But first some background info... the camera I have now is a Kodak 3.1MP EasyShare DX4330 and it is definitely time to upgrade. There is no doubt that I want to move up into the dSLR world, which is why I am looking at the Rebel XT. It has gotten excellent reviews and it looks like a fun camera to learn how to use and get some experience from. I understand dSLR cameras are lens expandable, which is pretty awesome considering I can always upgrade in the future. Not only that, but this camera could last me a very long time.

As for my seriousness about digital photography, I consider it one of my main hobbies so this purchase would make it even more exciting with all the great technology I could have at my hands. I am really looking to take better macro shots as well as motion shots (pets can't sit still... :p).

So would you suggest I get this camera for Christmas? Or should I look at another model? I've heard the Nikon D70 a nice one, but I would still like the Rebel XT to be my first choice.

Thanks for the help; I really appreciate it! :)

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
p0intblank said:
Keep in mind that the high price tag isn't a real issue here...

Okay, so Christmas is coming up and my parents are wondering what I want this year. I've told them about the Canon Digital Rebel XT and how awesome of a camera it supposedly is. We have a close friend of our's who has one and I have used it for a couple minutes or so, and I really liked it. But first some background info... the camera I have now is a Kodak 3.1MP EasyShare DX4330 and it is definitely time to upgrade. There is no doubt that I want to move up into the dSLR world, which is why I am looking at the Rebel XT. It has gotten excellent reviews and it looks like a fun camera to learn how to use and get some experience from. I understand dSLR cameras are lens expandable, which is pretty awesome considering I can always upgrade in the future. Not only that, but this camera could last me a very long time.

As for my seriousness about digital photography, I consider it one of my main hobbies so this purchase would make it even more exciting with all the great technology I could have at my hands. I am really looking to take better macro shots as well as motion shots (pets can't sit still... :p).

So would you suggest I get this camera for Christmas? Or should I look at another model? I've heard the Nikon D70 a nice one, but I would still like the Rebel XT to be my first choice.

Thanks for the help; I really appreciate it! :)

Asked myself the same question recently, plenty of discussion/reviews via Google:-

I believe the Nikon D70s, Rebel XT and perhaps the new Nikon D50 are very closely matched. Decisions seem to depend on whether you have existing accessories that will fit the Nikon or Canon or you're perhaps used to either menu system or prefer a particular manufacturer.

General opinion seems to be that you can't really go wrong with any of those camera's.

Personally I opted for the Rebel XT (awaiting re-stock at local shop) because of the smaller size and weight. I want to be able to take it on trips, hikes and particularly rides. The D70s I looked at felt too big and heavy - the Rebel XT feels much smaller. Of course some prefer the bigger size of the D70s.

The size of the D50 is somewhere in between the Rebel XT and D70s, judging by review site pictures.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I don't have any accessories I can use, so that isn't an issue when considering this purchase. It will be a clean start for me.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
p0intblank said:
I don't have any accessories I can use, so that isn't an issue when considering this purchase. It will be a clean start for me.

It was the same for me. I had already sold my 35mm Minolta last year, although I didn't have any accessories for that camera anyway.

If you've not already had a play with the Nikon D70s or D50, I suggest you take a look, just in case. The control layouts and menu's are quite different and you may find you prefer the Nikon.

You mentioned you've already used the Rebel XT and like it - I'm not aware of any reason why you shouldn't go for that model. Most reviews I've seen suggested a different lens for the Rebel XT, as the standard 'kit' lens lets the camera down. Just in case I've actually gone for the Rebel XT body-only + a sigma lens, that my local store suggested.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I'm sure the Rebel XT will be perfect for what I am looking for. And yes, I heard the same about the lens they give you with it. How much do you think it will cost to upgrade to an overall good quality lens? I don't need a top of the line model, just something nice to get me started.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
p0intblank said:
I'm sure the Rebel XT will be perfect for what I am looking for. And yes, I heard the same about the lens they give you with it. How much do you think it will cost to upgrade to an overall good quality lens? I don't need a top of the line model, just something nice to get me started.

I ordered a Sigma lens on the advice of the local shop. It's actually costing slightly less than the Rebel XT standard kit. The Sigma is the same type as the Canon, so hopefully it's a compariable or preferably 'better' lens.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
-hh said:
Bad news on the Apple front...

As per Apple's documenation:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html

...the Rebel XT (aka EOS 350D) is not a supported camera in OS X.

-hh

huh.... what does it mean by supported...its photos.. :confused:
If the old rebel is supported i would think the new one is....

I would get the rebel its a good starter camera. I would suggest getting a better lens. That lens is crap

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
-hh said:
Bad news on the Apple front...

As per Apple's documenation:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html

...the Rebel XT (aka EOS 350D) is not a supported camera in OS X.
-hh

Strange that, since Apple sells the Rebel XT/350D in their store!

It supports the Cannon 300D, so I suspect it'll support the 350D, they've just not updated the site.

EDIT: Quick Google found this:- http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051101035330228&lsrc=osxh
Suggests OSX doesn't support the 350D, but there's a workaround.

puckhead193 said:
I would suggest getting a better lens. That lens is crap

.. the standard Cannon kit lens you mean?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Danksi said:

It supports the Cannon 300D, so I suspect it'll support the 350D, they've just not updated the site.

.. the standard Cannon kit lens you mean?
yea.....

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Danksi said:

There are very unkind reports to the contrary...check Apple's Support Discussion pages.

Apparently, the problem appears to only affect RAW, not JPEG, and it seems to have been partially fixed under the OS 10.4.3 update - - Apple apparently added the XT to "RAW.plist", but its European name (350D) was left out.

So if your camera's from across the pond, you will have to manually hack the "RAW.plist" file to add the 350D name. Here's two URL's with more discussion (note also the warnings about the colors being off in some of these!)

http://minimal.cx/2005/11/01/make-os-x-1043-understand-canon-eos-350d-raw-files/

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051101035330228&lsrc=osxh

There's also reports that Aperature returns a "format not supported" on RAW files from an XT, but since 10.4.3's release was still relatively recent, that may have been the cause of the problems.

-hh

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
-hh said:
There are very unkind reports to the contrary...check Apple's Support Discussion pages....

Looks like we hit upon similar discussions. Mine 'should' be the Rebel XT (although Brit mates hate me for calling it that - it's the 350D to them).

I think I'll be using JPEGs to begin with, perhaps also storing RAWs for a later day. I'm interested in working with RAW, but not for a little while yet, so hopefully they'll have provided a 'fix' by then.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Danksi said:
Looks like we hit upon similar discussions. Mine 'should' be the Rebel XT (although Brit mates hate me for calling it that - it's the 350D to them).

I think I'll be using JPEGs to begin with, perhaps also storing RAWs for a later day. I'm interested in working with RAW, but not for a little while yet, so hopefully they'll have provided a 'fix' by then.

Try shooting in RAW+JPEG (qual) to get the best of both worlds, especially if you want to experiment with RAW files without completely putting faith in them right away. You will always have the JPEGs there as your 'image' and you can use the RAW file to play around with and screw up (not that you can....but).

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
efoto said:
Try shooting in RAW+JPEG (qual) to get the best of both worlds, especially if you want to experiment with RAW files without completely putting faith in them right away. You will always have the JPEGs there as your 'image' and you can use the RAW file to play around with and screw up (not that you can....but).

This was my thinking too. Burn up that disk space! :)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Danksi said:
This was my thinking too. Burn up that disk space! :)

That you will, but at least you can rest assured that you are shooting images in JPEG if they are must haves and you can experiment with RAW files at the same time. It is much safer than shooting solely RAW if you aren't committed and researched to it wholly.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
efoto said:

quick note
if you have the d70s - you cannot shoot RAW + highest quality large jpg, just in case the original poster wanted to consider the d70s.

i still like the d70s, though. but i might have settled for a d50, now that i've gotten a chance to play with the d70s for a while.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
ZoomZoomZoom said:
quick note
if you have the d70s - you cannot shoot RAW + highest quality large jpg, just in case the original poster wanted to consider the d70s.

i still like the d70s, though. but i might have settled for a d50, now that i've gotten a chance to play with the d70s for a while.

As a note to the OP, the Canon 350D/Rebel XT also can capture in RAW+JPEG (Large/Fine).

I figured it pertinent information since the OP stated interest in the Canon model....so basically the same functionality as the D70s.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
p0intblank said:
As long I shoot in standard JPEG, I should be fine right? I don't plan on working with RAW just yet...

Yes. And having played with Rebel XT this evening (picked it up earlier) I can't wait 'til morning to take some snowy mountain pics... :)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
p0intblank said:
As long I shoot in standard JPEG, I should be fine right? I don't plan on working with RAW just yet...

If by "just fine" you mean "works like every other camera" then sure....otherwise I'm lost on what you mean.

RAW is just a 'lossless' format that can be instituted to give you more control and options in post-processing. A prime example often stated is that your white-balance doesn't matter in the actual shot because you can set the WB in the RAW file to whatever temp you want and it changes the image without altering the....stuff. I don't really know how to state that last part :eek:

Shooting JPEG on a DSLR is just the same as shooting JPEG on a P&S, save for the manual and creative features found on the DSLR. You'll have no problems using the same workflow you use now....save for it taking up more space due to larger files :rolleyes:

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
I used to have a 300D and then after a year and a bit I sold it to a friend and upgraded to a 20D. I think if the XT is smack in the middle of the two for features and quality, then I'd say its a wicked camera. I didnt even need to upgrade but my friend wanted a used 300D so I went ahead and took the plunge with the upgrade. Expensive upgrade but I'm happy.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
contoursvt said:
I used to have a 300D and then after a year and a bit I sold it to a friend and upgraded to a 20D. I think if the XT is smack in the middle of the two for features and quality, then I'd say its a wicked camera. I didnt even need to upgrade but my friend wanted a used 300D so I went ahead and took the plunge with the upgrade. Expensive upgrade but I'm happy.
Feature wise, there's very little between the 350D (which I'm pretty sure is the XT in the US) and the 20D. What sold me on the 20D was the build quality: I managed to get the sales girl (who happens to be my cousin ;) ) to pull down the 100-400mm lens that was sitting on the shelf, and hooked it onto both the 20D and the 350D. The 20D felt solid. Good weight, and the lens didn't overpower it. The 350D felt ... wrong. The body was overwhelmed by the lens, to the point where it almost felt like the lens was going to fall off.

Having said that, if you're not going to be using heavy lenses (meaning the L series telephotos), that's not going to be a major concern. The 100-400 is something I know I'll be buying eventually, which is why I tried it on both bodies ("eventually" meaning "when I have the money, in probably three or four years, assuming it's still available"), but if it doesn't fit with what you want to do, the comparison becomes moot. Ask the shop if you can feel what the cameras are like with lenses you are likely to use -- of course, that's a bit hard if you're just starting out, and don't know what you'll be getting a few years down the road.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 350D; it's a good camera in terms of what it is and what it costs. Just be aware of the differences in the lineup, and consider what's worth the money to you, is what it all comes down to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.