is the comparable to crucial?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 2A Batterie, Jul 17, 2004.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Duff-man pointed out what a n00b I am, due to the fact that I posted this first outside of the forum with no link... oh no! Anyhow, I want to add 2gb of Ram to my new 2.0 G5 that has 512mb. I want to upgrade it by 2gb and was going to buy 2x1gb sticks so that I have the option of maxing it out later without having to be completely new memory (ex. if I got 8x256 to start with, I could't go beyond 2gb of ram without removing some cards, therefore making them a waste of money). I was planning on buying from crucial, but I came across this on the web:
    http://www.memorytogo.com/componex/comp_modeldisp.asp?mid=37730&cartid={2457B592-8B22EVEREST-47C2-B8D9-27E1D1276EB7}

Do you guys think it is comparable to crucial? It has a lifetime warranty, but does anyone know anything about the rep for this memory? If I get this instead of crucial, I'd save over $100.

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

If it has a lifetime warranty, then I say go for it.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You also should wonder how they can sell the memory for $100 less. When it comes to a lifetime warranty, will the company be around for the long term.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Never heard of them, but that doesn't mean they're bad. By default, I'm wary of massive price cuts compared to known reputable dealers for any product, but it's worth looking into.

If it were me, and it isn't, I'd go for Kingston or Crucial, pay more, and be more sure of the quality.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....memorytogo has been around a while I believe....I'd have to check old receipts but I think I may have bought the extra ram for my (long gone now) original blueberry iBook from them...never had any trouble with the chip. But of course that was quite a few years ago....oh yeah!

6. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

So I think I'm going to go with crucial

I just don't want to worry and I also don't feel like doing crazy research, so I'm going to go with crucial. They only have one type of 1gb stick avaliable for G5, right? Here's the link that I'm looking at:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...odel=Power+Mac+G5+(Dual+2.0GHz+DDR)&submit=Go

DO they make 1gb sticks that are CL=2? Is it that much of a difference from CL=3? Lastly, am I foolish for getting 2x1gb as oppossed to 4x512? It's almost a $200 difference but since I work in audio (ie memory hogging apps) I'm afraid of needing to get my G5 up to 8gb and don't want to have to buy all new memory. What do you guys think?

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Also check out the other respected name for Apple memory, OWC.

Got a 1gb for my PB 12" rev. B.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you get 4x512 now, you'll be at 2.5GB. Pretty respectable. You could go to 4.5 GB with no problems (2x256 + 4x512 + 2x1GB = 4.5GB). You could then dump the 256MB sticks (they're cheap anyway) and go up to 6GB (4x512 + 4x1GB).

So, if you go with 4x512MB sticks now, you're still pretty future-proof, and you save money now that you might not ever need to spend.

9. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Yes, this is the best way to go, unless you are planning to max it out within a year. 1gig sticks are way expensive.

P.S. I have crucial ram in my 2gig g5, works great.

10. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

11. w00tmaster macrumors regular

Quick note about the CL numbers, lower CL numbers don't always help your perfomance, esp. if you keep the Apple ram in there. I have no idea what the CL is for Apple's ram, but crucial's site tells you that you really cannot expect better perfomance than your slowest chip...
    Anyone know what the CL number is for Apple's memory? It isn't listed on the store page for their (overpriced) ram.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have no idea if this contains anything of use, but System Profile returns the following info for the Apple-supplied RAM's speed: 'PC3200U-30330'.

My uneducated interpretation is that indicates a CL number of three, but I am clueless here. The only parts I'm sure of are 'PC' and '3200'.

13. kanker macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that any app you're going to use is not going to be able to address more than 2MB of RAM (a 32-bit limitation?), Logic for instance can't (and realize that all the plug-ins you'll be using will fall under the 2MB max of the host). Unless you're going to be running a bunch of apps at once, I wouldn't be too concerned, just go ahead and get the 4 x 512.

14. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone. This post by JSW really helped make things clear for me. All of the feedback was great and I'm going to save a couple hundred dollars, which I can apply to the 4thgen iPod that will be annouced Monday and shipping in time for the 2006 Chanukah season! (I know that timeframe is probably wishful thinking, but one can hope!)