Is the Dock really that good after all?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Bern, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I tried to post this in the Ipod Gear forum but for some reason I don't have access privileges to post new threads there?? :confused:

I have been using my 3rd Gen iPod in a Dock plugged to a set of Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II since the day I got it. The other day I got the 5th Gen iPod and not being sure if it were 100% safe to plug the USB 2.0 into the original Dock decided to plug it into my Powerbook USB port and play it through iTunes. So I have my Soundtsicks plugged into my Powerbook and notice the sound is so much better. It's more clear, crisp. I mean it's noticeably better sound.

Do you think it's because of iTunes/iPod combination or is the new iPod better than the 3rd Gen so far as sound reproduction is concerned?

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

You can actually save some money and just buy a line out adapter that plugs into the pins at the bottom of your iPod.

3. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

Really? I've never seen that here in Australia. This is so you can plug external speakers like the ones I mentioned directly to the iPod?

I know you can plug the speakers into the headphone jack but the sound is crap that way.

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

The only thing that could explain it is that you have EQ or Sound Enhander turned on in iTunes on your PowerBook. The iPod's D/A converter is definitely better than the one in the PowerBook's headphone jack. All things being equal, the iPod in the Dock should sound better.

Two of the pins on the iPod (I think two) are used for analog line out. The dock just channels their signal to the line out 1/8" stereo connector on the back.

5. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

That's what I thought as well.

Well I don't think I need to get a replacement dock any time soon.

Incidentally I was looking at the Pocketdock which now has USB and line out, but here in Australia the price ranges from $79 to $92 so the Apple Dock would be cheaper in any case.

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Did you figure out what the issue was? Was it Sound Enhancer/EQ?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hence the thread called "Can't Post a Thread? Read This" :)

8. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I think the dock is worth the cash just for the convenience. I have the dock hooked up to my stereo system and the wall charge so it is always charged and ready to go. Also, when I come home I can just drop it in so it plays the song I'm listening to as soon as I take out the earbuds. Very nice.

9. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

Oops :eek: