Is the dual G5 worth the wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Foxer, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Foxer macrumors 65816

    Foxer

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #1
    OK all. I wouldn't normally post this sort of thread, but I would appreciate the input of an informed population sample.

    I've been waiting for the dual G5 since announcement date, and have watched the shipping date slip and slip and slip again. I've saved the cash for the machine and have long planned to sell my eMac to cover the price of the cinema display. Well, I'm slated to sell the eMac next week which would, on its own, leave me without a machine until the G5 arrives. I call the three local apple stores daily and each day get a different estimate from each store, varying from later this week to the end of next month - bottom line: no one knows when these thigns will show up.

    Finally my question: Is the dual G5 going to be that much better than the 1.8 that I can buy today? I'm sure it will be better, but by what degree?

    I will use the machine for video editing with FCP and very lite-weight photoshopping and Illustrator. However, I have to admit, it will mainly be used for everyday tasks. I undertand that I don't need the extra kick of the dual, but the prices difference is so slight, that I just thought the extra couple hundred was a no brainer when I'm already spending $4K-$5k for the system.

    I'm an impatient person and the money is burning the proverbial hole in my pocket. Should I sit tight or go with the 1.8? Discuss amoungst yourselves.
     
  2. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

    baby duck monge

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2003
    Location:
    Memphis, TN
    #2
    i would wait it out. just like your comment on it being only a couple hundred dollars more, you've waited for this long, what's a bit longer to you?

    the increase in performance should be signifigant, especially once apps are made that not only take advantage of 64bit processors, but also once they are optimized for duals.

    also, consider the timeline for faster G5s. not knowing the true specs, i would imagine that the 1.8gig could be considered "slow" compared to the 3gigs we supposedly are in line for in a year. a dual 2gig would help keep you at the front of the pack, and we all love having things that are close to the best.
     
  3. Genie macrumors 6502a

    Genie

    Joined:
    May 25, 2003
    Location:
    heaven
  4. esheep2001 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2002
    #4
    It seems that most people that order now are being given preferential treatment over people that ordered closer to the announcement. For instance I ordered 6/23 and am still waiting for my delivery. Other people have ordered 17 Sep and already have theirs.

    All I would say is never, ever pre-order an Apple product. It's the worst thing you could possibly do. Also, if you live in the UK do not under any circumstances order any accessories to ship with the G5. Order them separately otherwise all the components need to go via Luxembourg to be 'merged' and you end up waiting an extra week or three in some cases.

    e.
     

Share This Page