Is the future bright for Wii?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chone, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I mean seriously, I could not want a Wii more right now, all my interest for PS3 and X360 dropped to zero and now all I want is a Wii, especially because of Twilight Princess, there are other some cool games like Monkey Ball and others and some like Warioware coming in January... but apart from that, will Wii get tons of games? Will it have a software shortage like GameCube? I don't want to get a Wii just to realize 6 months from now there is nothing to play (and find myself waiting for some very specific games here and there like Smash Bros), what I loved about PS2 was that you always had a quality game to play and once in a while came a big wave of super must have AAA titles, will Wii be similar? How is the 3rd party support?

I see myself having more than enough to play the Wii through this year and the first months of the next... but what will happen then?

2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

looks like this one will be huge, affordability is the key too.

lots of great game developers signed up for Wii...

unlikely Nintendo will sit on the back burner twice in a row!

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

This is how I see it, if you're a fan of Nintendo, buyin' a Nintendo system is always a good buy. There's also the fact that the Wii is easier to develop for compared to the 360 and PS3 whihch mean more games, less development cost and shorter development cycles which means more chances for AAA titles from Ninty and 3rd party. The future for the Wii looks bright indeed.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

If Nintendo really pushes their cheap price, and pumps out its star games ,mario, metriod, SSB (for whatever reason) and gets good 3rd party support they should do awesome. They need to establish that the Wii games are different then PS3/360 because Wii can't compare to those two in terms of system power.

and since Macrumors is Nintendo Fan HQ, i bet everyone will say it will be amazing ;)

5. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I honestly don't believe there will be a shortage like the GameCube because you have the ability to play the GameCube games, plus the N64*, plus the SNES*, plus the NES*, and to top all that, the Sega Genesis*.

I put asterisks by those because of the selection Nintendo is currently ready to release. Nintendo is doing it right for $249. The main thing I can see for kids to choose: an iPod (Nano or Regular) or a Wii. Their parent's probably wouldn't go all the way on the 360 Premium and they wouldn't even think about the PS3. The Wii might actually be what I would ask for for Christmas, just because nothing has attracted my attention so far. Plus, I'm sure the old games are small so I could download them over my WiFi/dial-up connection.:D

6. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

I just hope you are right I just want to see tons of games that utilize the Wii's potential and not just Nintendo first party because there is only so much Nintendo can produce.

For 249$ Wii is a bargain, for 300$ you can walk away with Zelda and a Wii which has Wii sports included... for the price of a premium X360 you can either get 2 more games or 2 more Wiimotes for some nice multiplayer fun and for the price of a premium 600$ PS3, you can bring home all the fun you and 3 more friends could want.

Seriously I love Nintendo right now, I thought GameCube sucked (and honestly it did) but Wii seems to get things right on track for the big N.

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm hoping its worth it. They are having Wii demo tours around here and its near me on Thursday so I will be going to have a play :D I am so tempted to buy an XBOX 360 but its slightly more than I can afford.

8. Archmagination macrumors regular

Hey viccles can you post your impression of the Wii on here after the demo? It would be interesting to hear your opinion.

9. Malus macrumors 6502

When its all said and done, Nintendo is really going to have to follow through with the games. Yes, the launch games are good....Zelda, Red Steel, DBZ looks interesting....But they are going to have to come up with a lot of games that will appeal to everyone...I don't think if they redo the same thing (like make another zelda with the same mechanics) will it succeed. But I have no doubt that it will be a good system and be a success, because really, the Wii is just a big DS with one giant screen....and the wiimote is the stylus on the DS....thats how i see it.

10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Yup I will. I think having a play of the Wii will also help me determine whether to get a 360 or wait for the Wii.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Whatever the excitement was for the PS2 round here, it's now on the Wii. Sony handed Europe to Nintendo - the blogs, the press, the TV, the people laughed at what happened.

It's also a damn shame that I'm slowly leaving the game playing market at this time too. The Wii is pushing all the right buttons. Nintendo have learnt from their 3rd party mistake (so they came out with the cheapest and easiest to develop for), they didn't learn from their online mistake as there was nothing to learn. Nintendo only go for technology when it's good, available and cheap. You think they could have ran a Wii like online service, or DS service previously? You think it would have been populated with few people on broadband?

Affordability is the key indeed. What were the figures? 15% of US homes with HDTV? Funny thing is I bet them guys are the highest %age of HDTV owners. Adoption rate here is so incredibly low, nobody gives 2 ***** about it. So it's nice to see Nintendo make a machine to cater to the population, instead of needlessly giving a console a trick only 1% (guess, of course) of TV owners worldwide can use.

12. Rice Cooka macrumors newbie

It's really too early to tell if the Wii's full potential will be realized. On the one hand, it has INCREDIBLE buzz. I don't remember the Gamecube ever causing as much anticipation as the wii fever I'm seeing a lot of places. On the other hand, anyone remember the N64? That was a great system with an incredible launch that still struggled with mediocre third party output and sporadic Nintendo masterpieces (I say this as a HUGE Nintendo fan). To me, launch means very little, it's what the system does in the long run that matters.

What I DO know is that Nintendo is doing a lot of things right with the wii (price point, controller innovation, industrial design, finally getting some internet play, virtual console and their proverbial middle finger to Sony and Microsoft's direction) and that if Nintendo follows through on their promises then I would be shocked if the Wii is less successfull than it's predecessor.

As has been the case for the past 2 console generations, the big question mark is third parties. Will they ignore Wii? Again, hard to say but, if it gets a large install base, I can't see game companies ignoring this more economical platform. Potential problem? Shovelware with motion controls shoehorned in. But if there's enough games coming out, there ought to be some innovative gems in there.

Myself, I'm DEFINITELY getting a Wii. As the world's biggest Smash Brothers fanboy, SSB:Brawl alone is worth the $250 price. I'm sure that if you're a big fan of Nintendo you'll be happy with the Wii. If you're on the fence, I still suggest you get it and pimp it hard to friends, family and internet message boards. The more people that buy the thing the better the third party support will be.

13. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Wait, The N64 didn't really have that incredible of a launch did it? I mean it only had two games available. I remeber because I got both of them. Then it was a couple months as I recall until Cruisin' USA came out. Granted it picked up steam along the way with Goldeneye and Ocarina of Time, but it really did stumble out of the gate as I recall.

As for the Wii, I had no intention of buying it but I'll be honest, I'm very seriously looking at it now. I mean I have a 360 and it's great, but it'd be nice to have something different too. Plus Zelda is one of my favorite game series. :D

14. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I think the Wii will be a huge success. Plus, I can guarantee that Sony and Microsoft will use motion sensing remotes, if not in their next gen console, definitely the one after that. Nintendo has always been an innovator and other companies usually follow in their footsteps. N doesn't always have as big a market share as the others but they will definitely be around a while.

15. Rice Cooka macrumors newbie

Yup, it launched with just Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 (with the sublime Wave Race 64 coming a few months later). But for many Mario 64 was enough and if I remember correctly, getting an N64 during the 1996 holiday season was next to impossible!

16. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

N64 failed in the end because of the expensive cartridge format, which in turn hogtied the developers who opted to instead publish their games on the much-cheaper CD format that the Playstation and Saturn used.

N64 also didn't have the support of Square anymore, which made the uphill trek even worse. Final Fantasy VII (despite the fact that I hate the game and think it's the worst FF ever) was a system seller and we wouldn't be seeing a Playstation 3 (or have seen a Ps2) without the Ps1 having FFVII.

Third party support on the N64 in the end was slim, yes. But I still say the cartridge is what killed it. The Gamecube has much better 3rd party support (even though it's slim) today than the N64 did at it's end.

To answer the original question:
    I think the Wii will be huge. Even without true advertising, word of mouth is killer for the system right now. I won't say "I'm afraid the hype will kill it" because Nintendo never fails to impress. (Except for the Virtual Boy, but that was doomed from the get go.) I think Nintendo's got the whole package right this time, and developers are drooling over the cheaper development costs, plus the fact that they're dealing with hardware that they've already worked with the last 5+ years, so launch titles will look great and there's no "development learning curve".

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The wii will be successful, as will the 360 & PS3.

There will NOT be a clear winner this generation, with all 3 system's attracting equal market share.

Whilst I think the wii has enormous potential, unlike many I do not see any of that potential in the initial launch line up AT ALL.

Monkeyball, wow like that hasn't been done to death at this stage...

And the other third party games which are essential Xbox games but with wii remote feature tacked on (cars, cod3, nfs : carbon etc..)

Like the DS and the PSP the Wii will excel at doing things it was tailor made for doing, lazy conversions will be just as unwelcome on wii as they are on the 360 (gun, american wasteland), PSP (smackdown, burnout etc..), DS (fifa ? why bother) and no doubt the same will apply for PS3....

However, do I see the likes of E.A actually bother releasing stuff that was primarily developed for wii, no... I think they will continue to produce multi-format games, with the wii being just thrown a remote add-on and that's it....

Other Developers may indeed do some original things. Wii's Sonic the Hedgehog looks more interesting than the PS3/360 game for example.

There will be shiny beautiful Jewels in the wii's crown, let's just hope they aren't framed by a load of 3rd party lazy turds.

Now for a RANT :mad:

People please stop the PS3 / 360 / Wii is better crap because that is so 1999, get over it already. Gaming is a massive industry, you dont see the same ridiculous tit for tat arguments over the movie industry such as...

paramount are great, Universal suck ass, Warners are the greatest...

or in the music industry...

BMG blow, now Virgin Records are the real suckerz.....

Just because the gaming industry is still fairly 'immature' does not mean consumers have to be so....

18. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I agree that all will sell, but I think Wii could end up with 50%, and the Ps3/Xbox 360 splitting the remaining in half. It seems like most gamers will buy 2 consoles...1 of the expensive ones + a Wii (the cheap one).

I still have a fondness for Monkey Ball myself.
    There's plenty of good launch titles IMO.
    Zelda, Excite Truck, Elebits, Trauma Center (if you don't have the DS one), Rayman especially. Sure, there's ports with Wii control (NFS:Carbon, Madden, CoD3, Far Cry) but that doesn't bother me; the more choices, the better. Hell I remember when the Saturn came out and they had 1 game for like 3 weeks and that was it. Dreamcast launched with ports, so did the Ps2, Xbox, Xbox 360...the Wii and Ps3 will also. Again, it doesn't bother me because I think everyone expects ports; it's a cheap and easy way to make lots of money.

Agreed...I think EA is the cancer of the game industry. I wish Criterion (Burnout/Black) and Free Radical (Time Splitters) had never sold out to EA, but it's too late now. I just hope EA doesn't kill those franchises with gutter trash rehash sequels like they've done with all their other titles. Step right up! Step right up! Roster updates - $50! Buy now! Buy now!

I agree with you about the fanboyism; it's ridiculous. All three systems will have good games. I wish people realized that just because they like one system doesn't mean the other two are **** and they should post as much untrue BS/misdirected hostility about them as they want because it's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Problem is in Europe

Excite Truck, Elebits & Trauma Center are not launch titles. They are due late Feb/March :(

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bugger! I couldn't care less about Elebits, but the Excite Truck (Excite Bike... with trucks! <3 ) delay miffs me off. ho hum! All I'm personally after is something to showcase the Wii controller (Wii Sports+Play) and Twilight Princess to tide me over till university finishes for the summer.

21. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Oohhhhh...
    sorry bro (& everyone over in Europe) :(
    That sucks
    Well you guys get Wii Play though :)

22. Rice Cooka macrumors newbie

Well in that case, I agree, your launch sucks. In the US though it's a pretty nifty bunch of games.

23. jdechko macrumors 68040

But at least for now, the third party developers seem excited about the Wii and are willing to support it.

You keep saying that a lot of the games will be ports with Wii remote support added in. Well of course. That's essentially what a console port is... keep graphics the same (as much as possible), write the code to run on the console and change the control scheme. As far as I know, the last one is just as important as the first two. <sarcasm>Obviously, the PS2 controller/control scheme won't work with the 360 version of Madden or whatever your port is.</sarcasm>

Fortunately for the Wii, so far "ports" are actually being built from the ground up. I don't know all of them that "fully" incorporate the controller, or what that even means. I'd assume that every game "fully incorporates" the controller. But Madden '07 seems to have "full" support for the Wii's capabilities. Maybe I'm missing what you're saying, but specifically regarding EA, it doesn't appear that they're exploring the possibility of new IP's. EA seems content to reuse/repackage existing franchises and sell them as new--on ALL SYSTEMS.

Finally, there'll be a lot of these "turds" for every system, not just the Wii. It's inevitable, really.

And MRU, it took me a minute to figure out it was you, with the new 'tar and all.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh I agree 100%.

Comrade has been relocated to the Kremlin. Chairman MRU is a busy person you know ;) :D

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

Advantage is in europe:

*PS3 not coming untill march
    *most successful sony titles of the last 2 years: Singstar/Eyetoy.. the same market the wii is hitting as well
    *this christmas the Wii will be the only new console out of the gate
    *MS didn't use it's headstart enough in europe.. outside of the UK they sold below expectation