IS the G4 128bit and the g5 64bit?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by buywisdom, Aug 23, 2005.

1. buywisdom macrumors member

I was thinking to myself about how Apple advertised the G4 as a 128 bit prossesor. It seems strange that the G5 is 64bit and faster. Am I wrong about how these things work is the G4 not 128bit or is the velocity engine faking 128bits, or mabe something else? I am getting more confused the more I think about it could someone explain.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Only the Velocity Engine/AltiVec part of the processor is able to work on more than 64-bits at a time, either on the G4 or G5. While the G4 has instructions to work on 64-bits at a time, it isn't able to use any more than 32-bits' worth of memory while the current G5 series can use up to 42 bits' worth, the specification allows for up to 64-bits' worth of memory.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Got a reference to this? I don't remember ANY 128 bit advertising done by Apple...

5. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Altivec is 128 bit. Just like SSE2. But that doesn't make the G4 or G5 a 128 bits cpu. Altivec can work with 128 bit vectors, that's all.

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

They did, sort of. it was entirely restricted to overhyping the "velocity engine". They did talk about its ability to handle larger chunks of data. They never claimed the G4 itself was a 128 bit chip or anything like that though.

7. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

marketing hype? apple? never....
    i certainly recall that the Pentagon classified the G4 as a "supercomputer" under ITAR/TASS, which was siezed upon by apple for a great ad with a tank. it was pointed out that the definition of "supercomputer" hadn't been reviewed in 20some years.... but that didn't stop the whooping anda hollering from cupertino.