is the G5 PB 500mhz upgradeable?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by epcot, Aug 23, 2003.

1. epcot macrumors newbie

I'll be acquiring one from my friend for $700. But before I finalize the deal, I'd like to know if it's upgradeable (i.e. processor, video card, etc) and am I paying too much for something so old? Please let me know. THANKS!

It's a G4 Ti. Sorry with the typo.

2. xpormac macrumors regular

3. powerbookmedic macrumors member

You can't upgrade the Processor or VRAM on the unit. You can upgrade the ram and hard drive though. $700 is a little less than market value.

-Bradley

4. epcot thread starter macrumors newbie

So I guess I shouldn't buy it then. Are there any G4 Ti PB's that have an ungradeable processor and video?

5. powerbookmedic macrumors member

No. It is built into the motherboard.

-Bradley

6. epcot thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Plissken macrumors newbie

dude, its a laptop

you can almost never update anything like processor and video ram on a laptop. in fact i think one of the Alienware laptops is the only laptop w/ upgradeable VRAM. just something to know so you don't have too high of an expectation. IMHO, i would almost never buy a used computer. if you can spend i would try and buy a new machine because it is an investment which makes it worth the cost. so i say look at getting a new iBook (unless you really need a G4 for Altivec stuff). Of course this is all just my opinion and i'm still a couple of days away from perfection.

8. powerbookmedic macrumors member

That's now entirely correct. The G3 processors can be upgraded through 3rd party companies. Also there are 3rd party PCMCIA video cards such as the RoadRocket which can boost Graphics performance in the Wallstreet. You can't upgrade the VRAM on board though. Furthermore, I'd say that buying used makes the most economical sense....otherwise you're just wasting your money to say you have the fastest computer out there when most of the time you don't need it. Even if you do need the fastest one, go to eBay and save money used.

-Bradley

9. Plissken macrumors newbie

i was not aware of those type of upgrades. thanks for correcting my info to the poster.