Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Hi folks

is the Galaxy S 7 a real threat to iPhone ? how many here would switch ? could I request some one who has really studied the S7 features etc, to reply. Thanks in advance. regards. Subu

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks Hal~9000 : But the Galaxy S 7 was launched in most countries after September 2015 IF I remember right ..so my questions is specific to Galaxy S 7 ...

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
The same question was asked last year with the S6 and look what happened.

Your question of "is the XYZ android phone a threat to the iPhone?" has been answered countless times over the years by Android manufacturers making next to zero profit margin and not a good long term business outlook.

No, it's not a threat whatsoever imo. No Android phone is or will be.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
No Android phone is a threat to the iPhone, just as no iPhone is any threat to any Android phone. Everyone has their own software preference and hardware specs probably won't do much to change it.

That said, the S7 looks great and has some awesome specs but, like many other Android phones, it's hampered by bloated Samsung and Carrier software. If Samsung saw fit to release an unlocked, pure Android version of that phone, I'd definitely be in for one!

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
No Android phone is a threat to the iPhone, just as no iPhone is any threat to any Android phone. Everyone has their own software preference and hardware specs probably won't do much to change it.

That said, the S7 looks great and has some awesome specs but, like many other Android phones, it's hampered by bloated Samsung and Carrier software. If Samsung saw fit to release an unlocked, pure Android version of that phone, I'd definitely be in for one!

If the S7 Edge ran stock android like the Nexus phones do I would be all over it like a hot flannel.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
If the S7 Edge ran stock android like the Nexus phones do I would be all over it like a hot flannel.

I haven't been able to play around with an Edge at stores yet and am worried that the curved edges would make it a little difficult to use certain apps and games. Do you know if that holds true?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don't think any Samsung phone has been a threat to the iPhone, i think Samsung likes to imitate and copy Apple in certain areas. The S7 Edge does look like a nice phone, but i wouldn't buy one because I'm not a fan of Android plus Samsung has Touchwiz on top.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
The S7 should be compared to tbe iPhone 7. Most will wait till the release of the iPhone 7 before deciding. Samsungs S series has always been the first mover advantage type phone for Samsung in competing with the iPhone.

The iPhone 6/6s proved more popular than the S5/S6.

Samsung has been upping its game of late but when the iPhone 7 arrives, its newness from a design point of view, will alone be enough for most iPhone fans imo.

The S7 edge hype is already dying.
The standard S7 will probably be a poor seller.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Have tried a few android phones. I hate it. The UI is clunky, a bunch of apps I rely on either don't exist or are not feature complete and as per the linux world, having a thousand different options for the basic apps when 95% of them suck isn't really an advantage.

And as far as security goes, Android is the Windows of the smart phone world.

Reactions: Thierry ba

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
The S7 should be compared to tbe iPhone 7. Most will wait till the release of the iPhone 7 before deciding. Samsungs S series has always been the first mover advantage type phone for Samsung in competing with the iPhone.

The iPhone 6/6s proved more popular than the S5/S6.

Samsung has been upping its game of late but when the iPhone 7 arrives its newness from a design point of view will alone be enough for most iPhone fans imo.

Samsung is making really tempting this time around. Not only are they giving away free VR sets and apps this time around, but stores are also bundling them with stuff like memory cards and gift cards as well.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've had the following Samsung phones in my time:

Galaxy S2, S3 and S5
Note 2 and 3

I loved the hardware but their touchwiz software and (more importantly) their ridiculous release schedules for updates (or rather, lack of them) drove me away and the only way I'd ever consider a Samsung phone again is if it ran stock Android

Reactions: bchreng

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I said the same. Been stock Android for a few years and always scoffed at Samsung.

The sizes of pure high specced pure Android phones were just too much for me, so I thought I'd give the S7 a go. Absolutely awesome and touch wiz is actually better than stock Android by a long way.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
this reply was posted B4 reading MILDredOP's reply
------------------------
* thanks everyone who answered. many ppl have complained about the bloat ware... does the android marshmellow, better processor, 32 GB storage (on base model), metallic body, half an hour under water etc change the equation ...
* mildredop has answered one question ...hmm..

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thanks Hal~9000

Folks : any more views ?
I have a Galaxy S7 edge and a 6s+ and Nexus 6P and a Note 5. I like them all. They all have different features and pros and cons.
The features the S7 has
1) I think it has the best camera in low light i have used.
2) It is pretty much waterproof. If you use your phone outdoors or around water then that a big plus. It can be under 5 feet of water for 30 minutes
3) It has expandable storage. You can add a 200 GB SD Card and apps will install there.
4) Best display on a smartphone yet.

They all have great features. It just comes down to your preferences and what you like. You can't go wrong with an iphone or the S7.

Oh and my T-Mobile model only has a couple TMO software. So it has very little if any bloatware.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks Jamezr. Very balanced view !

By the way your S 7 is that a standard S 7 or is that something you configured to have very little bloatware ?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thanks Jamezr. Very balanced view !

By the way your S 7 is that a standard S 7 or is that something you configured to have very little bloatware ?
I have the T-Mobile Galaxy S7 Edge. TMO has very little bloatware on their phones. It comes with a few TMO utilities like TMO hotspot and TMO caller ID software. But only a handful and they are easy to disable so they don't run in the background anymore. But some carriers like Verizon and AT&T have a lot of extra games and such on their phones. So I can't speak to that.

Reactions: Subu

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Are the newer Galaxy's comparable devices to the latest iPhones? I'd say they are the Android equivalent---and by that I mean they are the best hardware available running Android. I'm an iPhone user and big fan of both the iPhone hardware and iOS but even I can acknowledge the hardware itself is better on the Galaxy (battery size, display, camera, display size/overall size, waterproof, plus it offers expandable memory).

All that being said, I don't think the latest Galaxies are a 'threat' to the iPhone, because in the vast majority of cases, it comes down to OS preference. Samsung has arguably offered better hardware specs for a few years now and that hasn't significantly moved the needle. If last year's camera wasn't enough to make you switch, this year's model isn't offering any revolutionary changes that'll make you switch either. Same goes for the display, etc. I think OS preference is a bigger factor than hardware specs. If people are going to move away from the iPhone or iOS, it's going to take some revolutionary element in ANDROID that people feel they must have and can't live without. That isn't there presently, IMO.

And to be clear, I'd apply this same argument in the other direction. There is nothing 'revolutionary' in iOS 9 (and doubtful in iOS 10) that will likely sway Android fans to move to the iPhone.

The biggest threat to the iPhone (and ironically to the Galaxy/Note lines) are not each other but rather influx of much higher quality 'mid-range/mid-priced' smartphones. When it comes down to it, in most cases the greatest factor in the buying decision is price and now that consumers have a very good smartphone experience available at a significantly lower price, I think you'll see the largest growth in this segment of the market, at the expense of traditional high priced flagships.

Last edited:

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Hi folks

is the Galaxy S 7 a real threat to iPhone ? how many here would switch ? could I request some one who has really studied the S7 features etc, to reply. Thanks in advance. regards. Subu

I read the features and they are impressive on paper, but I've had enough experience with Samsung devices to know that no purrty and ooooo shiny Samsung device will have any worth for me, other than as a trash bin filler, after the first major update. Each Samsung I've had has turned into trash bin material after having its first major update.

No, I would not switch. I use all major U.S. platforms and for my next Android device I'll get a Nexus. I'll do without Android for the time being. So speaking as a user, no, for me, it's not a threat. As far as the market in general, since I don't have the gift of predicting the future, I would not know.

Reactions: Subu

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
No.

See: http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...its-selling-just-145-percent-of-total-volumes

Hard to have any sort of threat to your business when demand for your product is off the charts and you're making 94% of the available profits in the industry.
Honestly I wouldn't trust an apple biased site .... Just my opinion
[doublepost=1457705757][/doublepost]
The same question was asked last year with the S6 and look what happened.

Your question of "is the XYZ android phone a threat to the iPhone?" has been answered countless times over the years by Android manufacturers making next to zero profit margin and not a good long term business outlook.

No, it's not a threat whatsoever imo. No Android phone is or will be.

How when at the SAME time the iPhone 6S and 6s Plus sales is supposedly slipping compared to previous versions. Articles all over the place stating how it "might" be stale or etc.
[doublepost=1457705856][/doublepost]
Hi folks

Honestly if I didn't have a Macbook pro I would seriously consider it. I have been a Samsung user in the past and liked their phones. As of today I am perfectly happy with my iPhone 6 Plus and don't foresee myself getting an Android device but I have another year to see if that changes which would be for the S8 should they make one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.