Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAttackkk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
I'm waiting until tomorrows apple event to check out what the iphone 5s has to offer. If i am unimpressed, i am considering going with the htc one (which finally came to verizon). Is the htc one still a competitive smartphone? I was looking at the note 3 but i dont think i want such a big phone, the htc one seems like a good compromise between the iphones small screen and the note 3's mega screen. Are there any other smartphones comparable? I have head the galaxy s4 becomes laggy over time.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Right now as far as what I would recommend in order that is available as of today.

Moto X
HTC One
S4
LG G2

I own a S4 and now buying and using Note 8, my future daily driver will probably be part of the Note line.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The HTC One is an excellent choice IMO. I'll compare it to the GS4 because they are considered the top 2 and I've owned both:

HTC One pros
-Sense 5 is smooth and minimalistic
-Boomsound speakers are awesome
-design is stunning

GS4 pros
-Camera is excellent
-Display to phone size ratio is perfect

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
If you want to compare the HTC One with another smartphone, it would probably have to be with the GS4 since they're the best Android phones as of yet. So I suggest you do some research on the two smartphones and see which one you like best. I preferred the HTC One over the GS4 because of the Android skin. I dislike TouchWiz, Sense in my opinion is far superior. That being said, you can't go wrong with either one. Both are excellent devices. And yes, the HTC One is still a competitive smartphone.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I wouldn't recommend any other android phone today myself. Great phone (so much so my wife now owns one herself)

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
If I hadn't been so sold on the screen size and pen/TouchWiz functions of the Note series, and was due for an upgrade right now, I would probably go with the One. It's just so damned handsome, the screen is fantastic, spec-wise it's totally on par with the S4, and the speakers are just awesome. The only serious downside seems to be the camera, that's something to consider. In terms of being up to date with tech development though, I think the One is definitely still a good choice.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I too was waiting to see what the Note 3 had to offer before going with the One.

In the end the Note 3 was to good to pass up for me.

The One is dead sexy and really like the speaker set up and would have been my choice.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
The HTC is still completely relevent.

----------

Right now as far as what I would recommend in order that is available as of today.

Moto X
HTC One
S4
LG G2

I own a S4 and now buying and using Note 8, my future daily driver will probably be part of the Note line.

I'm so disappointed that the Motorola or Google or whoever once again dropped the ball on camera quality. The Moto X would be a no brainer if the camera wasn't so disgustingly awful.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Yup. Still a good phone. We probably won't see another flagship from HTC until sometime next year. But I would also look at other phones such as the Xperia Z1 and the G2.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I was set on getting the One, but now I am debating the One and the G2. The battery life on both phones is better than what I currently get, but the G2 is really drawing me in with the battery life it has. I guess I'll have to play with both of them in the store to see which I prefer.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Unless there are very specific reasons you want the HTC One that no other phone has, I'd skip it at this point in time. Or wait a bit more.

MacAttackkk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
What are the pros of the note 3? I like the look and features but im afraid its too big (coming from an iphone 4s tiny screen). I also already have an ipad.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
What are the pros of the note 3? I like the look and features but im afraid its too big (coming from an iphone 4s tiny screen). I also already have an ipad.

Mostly the software/pen features - splitscreen multitasking, Action Note, Scrapbook, etc. Aside from the screen size itself of course, for me this size is perfect and makes it very enjoyable to read, write, surf the web, or play games. And speaking of the latter - of course the Note 3 will have top notch specs that guarantee it'll be useful for a long time to come. Already the Note 2 is a beauty when it comes to even the most demanding games, and the Note 3 slaps it silly in benchmarks.

But, if it's too big then it's too big :) Personally I laughed at the Note 2 when it came out, but after testing it a few times in stores I came to see it in a different light. Now I don't even consider it especially big anymore - for me this has come to be a new standard and very natural phone size.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
The HTC is still completely relevent.

----------

I'm so disappointed that the Motorola or Google or whoever once again dropped the ball on camera quality. The Moto X would be a no brainer if the camera wasn't so disgustingly awful.

Constantly hearing that a software fix will solve those camera issues but we will see.

I think the Moto X is probably the "smartest" phone in the bunch. My wife has the HTC One and the only reason she would switch to a Moto X is because she can get it in pink.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
In your OPINION yes

to others it might not be. For me I wanted a bigger screen than 4.7.

For me I wanted a proper RGB layout (PenTile is hideous and needs to die in a fire), a sharper screen, lower power consumption, more brightness, and more accurate color. Yay.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
I'm waiting until tomorrows apple event to check out what the iphone 5s has to offer. If i am unimpressed, i am considering going with the htc one (which finally came to verizon). Is the htc one still a competitive smartphone? I was looking at the note 3 but i dont think i want such a big phone, the htc one seems like a good compromise between the iphones small screen and the note 3's mega screen.

That's exactly what I'm gonna do this evening. If just the leaked information and nothing more get announced today I'll order a HTC One right away.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
i think im the only person it seems but i find the htc one design boring and overated

----------

For me I wanted a proper RGB layout (PenTile is hideous and needs to die in a fire), a sharper screen, lower power consumption, more brightness, and more accurate color. Yay.

ah yes, because you can see the arrangements on a full hd screen your not jumping on any bandwagon at all...........

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
i think im the only person it seems but i find the htc one design boring and overated

----------

ah yes, because you can see the arrangements on a full hd screen your not jumping on any bandwagon at all...........

I have the One. My inlaw compared it to his GS4, he immediately commented that the One has a sharper screen because of the GS4's Pentile pixel arrangement. I briefly had the GS3 last year and the fuzzy text was very bothersome, but I was surprised he still noticed it on the GS4 with its 1080p display..

I love the One, switching back and forth from my iPhone 5. But the one major disappointment with the One is the camera. I was excited when I first learned that it has a 4MP camera which should mean better low light capability, which is true, add to it the optical stabilization really helps minimize handshake blur, but shots taken during the day look pretty bad. Why? Because the One's camera is effectively 2 megapixel due of its 16:9 sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.