Is the i5 less problem prone than the i7?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eddvedd, Jul 29, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Hey everyone. Sorry, I posted this question in another thread but wasn't getting a response. I just received my new i7 and it has the high pitched noise when you adjust brightness. It seems like whenever I hear about problems, its with the i7, but maybe thats just coincidental. However, it the i5 does seem less problem prone, I would like to know because I'll just order it instead of a new i7 when i return this one. Thanks.

2. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I think you're giving up on the i7 too quickly. I'd do an exchange before I would downgrade.

3. macrumors 6502

Don't give up so quickly. Exchange it for another. Your money entitles you to a fault-free machine, and Apple knows this.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I didn't mention it in this thread, but this will be my 5th iMac. I purchased four of the previous i7's and all four went south (2HD's, 1 power source, and 1 DOA). Your right though, I'll give the i7 one more chance, since this is the new version, and perhaps the problems arnt as common (maybe I shouldn't say common, but I think you know what I mean)

5. macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Not at all authoritative, but an educated guess: seriously doubtful. It's the same screen, and since changing the backlight is what does it, it's almost certainly the LED drive circuitry. I wouldn't expect that to be different between the two.

In my (limited) experience this usually comes down to a poorly secured component somewhere that vibrates and creates a resonant hum or buzz, depending on whether it's touching something else. Exactly what brightness this occurs at depends on the voltage that causes the resonating, how the component's secured, etc.