Is the iMac for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yooper, Oct 15, 2004.

1. yooper macrumors newbie

I am almost ready to buy my first Mac. A couple questions first. The computer would be used for...browsing the internet, pictures, downloading music, watching movies and burning. Does the G5 iMac's graphic card hinder any of the above applications? Is there a difference from a top end card to a lower end card when viewing video over the internet or watching a DVD? I don't know much about graphic cards, only that you need one of the best to run some of todays power hungry games, but I'll stick with my consoles for gaming.

2. saxamaphone macrumors newbie

Should be fine for your uses. My eMac 1GHz was excellent in all those areas so the new iMac should be more than enough (with a nicer widescreen to boot). Unfortunately you may hve to wait a while. Mine was supposed to ship by the 14th, now delayed until the 20th :(

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...the iMac will do you just fine....watching DVD's with its graphics card will not be an issue...as with most things Apple sells though - plan on buying some extra RAM - there are a few threads here already with links to reputable (and economical) dealers....oh yeah!

4. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

We don't know you. We don't know if it's for you. There is nothing that Apple.Com couldn't tell you about the iMac G5, or any other computer for that matter. Apple usually does a great job in telling you what all it can do. Decide if it's for YOU. Good luck with your purchase.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if you have a chance, go to your local apple store or dealer and play around with a machine for a couple hours, put it through its paces. then decide for yourself.

but from what you describe, the imac seems to be able to do all those things

6. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i have some "issues" with iPhoto4 and the new g5 iMac. the iMac came with the standard 256 mb ram. it seemed to be too slow for me, with my "only" 650 some photos...

as a start, 256 mb ram is ok. but think about upgrading for a better experience.

the iMac should be a perfect fit. good luck. it is one nice machine, i should add.

(but my g4 iMac sticks out its 'tongue' if i drool over the younger brother) ;)