Is the Internet password obsessed????????????

Discussion in 'Community' started by PalmHarborTchr, Mar 10, 2004.

1. PalmHarborTchr macrumors member

I am sick and tired of passwords, usernames etc for everything on the internet. About 20% of the time the site
    denies you access even though you put in the correct username and password.....this site did it to me this week. My God we are not all working for the CIA, NSA, FBI or the WhiteHouse!!!!!!!!!! Your profile could be
    full of phony information anyway. The teachers board......floridateachers.net
    does not require a password, user name etc. and the postings work quite
    nicely thank you.
    sometimes the safari completes the information for you other times it
    does'nt do a damn thing to help.
    the New York Times on line used to make you jump all those humps but
    they figured out that its a big pain and totally unnecessary....it does not do it anymore.
    i hope people who put these password usernames are listening......STOP IT.
    J U S T STOP IT......PARANOIA IS NOT A VIRTUE.

:confused:

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think it has to do something with the fact that not all people fill their profile with bogus information, and that some sites would be flooded with spam if anyone who was unregistered could post.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yes and no. Sometimes there are good reasons for this, sometimes these good reasons are even enough to outweigh the huge inconvenience. The nytimes thing is a good example, I don't send people links there, because you need a profile (are you sure they stopped? as of about a week ago it was still there)... Things like messageboards i can understand, but too many do it just to harvest your email address (you have to confirm it by clicking a link in an email they send, so they know they have a working address to sell). I've started avoiding these places, the content is rarely worth it.

edit: for the record, if you learn to type, systems accept the correct password. 99.9999% of the time, it's human error.

paul

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't find using passwords on the Internet to be a problem. They are there of our protection. It needs to be difficult for the hacker.

5. JamesDPS macrumors regular

I have no problem with passwords... it's only a matter of remembering which username and password goes for each site (since I use about 5 usernames and several passwords of varying "difficulty", so occasionally it takes a couple guesses, but that's what keychain is for).

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

To do what? read the news? I don't think so... i'm willing to bet the most dedicated hacker could figure out the 3-step free registration process. All it does, in so many instances, is slow a person down and annoy people that get sent links.

paul

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Speaking of passwords I know one password of a person who has posted before me in this thread.

:rolleyes:

But I'm not evil or anything so your pretty safe.

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

What IS getting ridiculous is the new fad of typing in the distorted words in order to sign up. I understand why they do it, but ****, sometimes I can't even figure out what the **** the letters/numbers are!!

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i just use a group of standard usernames and passwords each doestn take long to remember, because all the simple things like subscriptions and access to sites that are fun but do not contain sensitve info are under one series

while the more important things with financial data are under a more secure series

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yeah, that's a pain. It's so spammers can't write a script to generate tons and tons of fake login names. The computer can't recognize the text, so the script doesn't work. Kinda like a child-proof cap on a medicine bottle.