Is the iPhone a data pig?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 26, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors regular

AlphaBob

Dataviromests will call for data cap and trade limits!

It's true -- My iPhone is a data pig and I'm proud of it. Who cares if there is only so much data to go around? Who cares if the bandwidth is limited? I've got my shinny iPhone and to hell with everybody else. I'm gonna use all the data I can whenever I can just because I can.

By the way, I hear that Al Gore is going to head up another London based fund. This one will be based on data cap and trade. Al has another movie out that says North America is consuming the bulk of the worlds available data and it just isn't fair. The movie is expect to be a sure-fire Academy Award winner and is entitled "An inconvenient set of 1's and 0's".

3. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

You kids have it so lucky, with your Megabytes and Gigabytes.

Back when I was growing up, we didn't have two bits to Xor together, and still we were happy just to have null. Those where the days..

4. macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

5. macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Because when I was in school we had to walk barefoot to class, uphill, both ways in the freezing snow....:p

6. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

It's no laughing matter. If you could see how many discarded bits those iPhone hogs are tossing into our local landfill every day. It's reaching crisis proportions. But revenge on iPhone users is sweet: all those bits will eventually mass together and come back to byte them.

7. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

These would have to be some of the silliest posts I have ever seen on MacBytes ;) - I think I'll go and have a wallow in data for a bit.:apple:

8. macrumors 6502a

happydude

this is one of the funniest threads i've seen in a long time!! loving the jokes.

but seriously, someone in africa right now has no data at all and we're just throwing ours out on the street. when will we learn some shame.

9. macrumors regular

AlphaBob

Sort of like those unused milky roll-over minutes, eh?

I can hardly wait for Sally Struthers to start making an appeal on behalf of all the data-starved children in Africa.

10. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Ah, nuts. The Secretary of Information has announced we need have a bailout plan of 700 petabytes to bail out those companies affected by this data shortage!

This sucks. I'm not telling them anything, they can get that data elsewhere! No one came to my aid when I was down to my last kilobyte..

11. macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Stupid article.

iPhone internet is more useful. More useful = more usage. There, that's the summary.

12. macrumors 65816

Um, yeah, it is a data pig. But who cares? We all pay $15 to $30 for unlimited data and we're sure as hell gonna use it!

13. macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't forget the broken glass on the ground and the gunfire from both sides of the trail. :D

14. macrumors G5

nagromme

What is just plain excessive is using 3G to stream Pandora radio non-stop, hour after hour, while driving a car.

I intend to continue enjoying the aforementioned behavior :)

15. macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

In a lot of countries, unlimited data is not offered by the phone carriers.

16. nos
    macrumors member

Not at all, I've a new contract since yesterday in Belgium.
    300 sms/300 callminutes/month and 200 mb data for 30 €/month. (I never used more than 50 mb per month because most of the time I have wifi)
    I've a 1st gen iPhone, and was on GPRS, now I have edge.
    I'm pretty impressed about edge vs GPRS.

Probably I can hold of buying a new iPhone 'till the next gen.

17. macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I have a 6gig data plan. I got my 3g 2 days after launch and I have yet to break past 300megs total usage. Rogers was going to give out 400 meg plans, and everyone complained, but now I am thinking it would have been ok.

18. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

I guess data usage or excessive data usage depends on the amount of Wifi zones near the user - the more wifi spots the less billed data usage. In NZ we still don't have a lot of wifi areas apart your home or some areas in town and in AKL and Wellington Intl Airports so the rest of the time you are either on 3G networks, or your home or work wifi.

19. macrumors P6

twoodcc