Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Smartphones were still somewhat of a novelty for most people until around Mid 2010. So that's where I think the "coolness" came from. Now everyone and their mother can have an iPhone at any price point from free on contract to $850 unlocked and everything from ATT to straighttalk to virgin mobile.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Since when does a phone become "cool"? If you think you are cool because you own any brand of smartphone, or anything in general, you are and idiot.

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
I live in Boston, which is a very young city (due to the universities here). I am always checking to see what smart devices people are using in restaurants, outside, on public transportation, etc. I've noticed the large majority of 18-30 year olds are using iPhones.

In this metropolitan/young demographic, I rarely see people using Android phones.

In my opinion, Apple's lead in this demographic (young professionals and students) is getting stronger, while Android is making up for it by selling phones to older, less tech savvy people who want a cheaper phone.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
I live in Boston, which is a very young city (due to the universities here). I am always checking to see what smart devices people are using in restaurants, outside, on public transportation, etc. I've noticed the large majority of 18-30 year olds are using iPhones.

In this metropolitan/young demographic, I rarely see people using Android phones.

In my opinion, Apple's lead in this demographic (young professionals and students) is getting stronger, while Android is making up for it by selling phones to older, less tech savvy people who want a cheaper phone.

Of course iphone is for tech savy people and android is for less tech savy people. I think you got that backwards.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
It is THE phone because it was first, it is simple and it still has the best mobile apps of any other platform. Developers go where the money goes, which is IOS.

Android has most of the techie crowd, the anti-apple, the google fanboy and of course the budget crowd.

It is not a bad thing either. But both platforms remain to their market and probably always will. Why do you think Windows can't even get a real foothold? To late the Vista/8 debatackle does not help, and they still are seen as a 90's company trying to make something for 2013 that just has no taste.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
phones to older, less tech savvy people who want a cheaper phone.

Of course iphone is for tech savy people and android is for less tech savy people. I think you got that backwards.

Ok, you guys. Please figure this out, because I need the help!

I'm an old, drooling, diaper-wearing, non-tach savvy codger, and I have an iPhone 5.

Is that OK? Am I destroying the "cool" for everyone? Am I allowed to have an iPhone, or do I have to chuck it and get an android phone?

OK, on a slightly serious note (this silly thread only deserves only a slightly serious note), this nonsense about what is "cool", and "old folks" can't learn to use electronic devices, is really getting a bit ridiculous. And, worrying about what is "cool", rather than which device best meets your individual needs, is also absurd.

Uh oh...wait...oh darn, I have to go change my diaper. I'll be back and say more later.:eek:

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag

I think you are confused.

Read my post again.

Android seems to be making inroads in the older, less tech savvy department, regardless of how Android is marketed, while iPhone is getting stronger in the young/professional demographic, regardless of how Apple is marketed.

I see this everywhere I travel in metropolitan areas. If you want to stratify smartphone users into niche demographics, Apple has the layers that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
The "cool" of the iPhone died when it started becoming available on every carrier, prepaid, and offering old versions for free on contract. It's just too easily obtainable and lacks that "exclusivity" that Apple products once felt. Still a great phone, just not AS desirable anymore.

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
The "cool" of the iPhone died when it started becoming available on every carrier, prepaid, and offering old versions for free on contract. It's just too easily obtainable and lacks that "exclusivity" that Apple products once felt. Still a great phone, just not AS desirable anymore.

Haha, in that case, how "cool" are android phones, where carriers all around the world give them away for free/dirt cheap? :p

Outside the US, there aren't that many carriers that even offer the iPhone. :D

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Haha, in that case, how "cool" are android phones, where carriers all around the world give them away for free/dirt cheap? :p

Outside the US, there aren't that many carriers that even offer the iPhone. :D

No phone beside the HTC One is really "cool" right now to be honest. And that will soon fade away as it's getting really popular and the Verizon/Google Editions are coming soon.

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
No phone beside the HTC One is really "cool" right now to be honest. And that will soon fade away as it's getting really popular and the Verizon/Google Editions are coming soon.

I agree that HTC is the only company that has stepped up to Apple with great hardware. Samsung phones look ugly/feel cheap to me.

I really admire what they have done with the One. It is the only smartphone in recent memory that looks good without taking too many design cues from the iPhone.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Uneffingbelievable

I shouldn't be surprised, it's not as if I don't know these devices serve purposes to bolster one's presumed social status, but ffs, this post is a perfect demonstration of the unabashed vacuous banality of our society.

Has the device all of a sudden lost its utility?

I used to hide my new Apple devices in public because I didn't want people thinking I thought myself superior merely because I owned a new Apple device/technology, and now there are actually people worrying that the exact same devices might be considered so fashionably passé that they worry about displaying them in public too.

I'm constantly amazed people don't walk around on their heads, things are so upside down.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
ADMIN NOTE:

It's fine to discuss other phones here, as long as you are doing so in the context of the subject of this thread.

For comments about other phones unrelated to the subject of this thread, please post in the Alternatives forum. That way we can keep on-topic here.

Thank you! :)

Carry on...

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I agree the HTC One is the only "cool" phone these days. Better exterior design than iphone 5 and very cool stuff you can do with it. I hope iphone 5s will step up to the One, but I don't think it will....sadly
It seems HTC One nearly broke down HTC because of all the challenges of making the phone. They really should and deserve to sell a load of that phone and give apple some real competition...which apple too would deserve - they've started sleeping in class, like every other company did before iphone 1 came out.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Even if you're not caring what other people think, the tech "cool factor" of new features and technologies is long dead on the iPhone. I have a 4S and an SGS III, and features like Google Now, better notifications, Swiftkey with Swype-like functionality, and a still much better Google Maps on the SGS III just make it have a real "cool factor" while the iPhone has zero "cool factor" and is just a useful workhorse that does it's job well. Yes, I said it, the iPhone is boring and reliable, and the SGS III is exciting.

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
Even if you're not caring what other people think, the tech "cool factor" of new features and technologies is long dead on the iPhone. I have a 4S and an SGS III, and features like Google Now, better notifications, Swiftkey with Swype-like functionality, and a still much better Google Maps on the SGS III just make it have a real "cool factor" while the iPhone has zero "cool factor" and is just a useful workhorse that does it's job well. Yes, I said it, the iPhone is boring and reliable, and the SGS III is exciting.

Maps and swift key do not make a phone "cool" for me. The feel and look of a phone trumps the bells and whistles of software (Samsung does bells, whistles, and bloatware really well, but they do design horribly).

The iPhone 4-5 models have a clean, industrial look to them that will stand the test of time. Samsung models just look bad. The angles and lines are off. Because of that, I would never buy a Samsung Galaxy. And they use really tacky materials. I would take an HTC One over Samsung's flagship.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
If you are like this below with any smartphone (I'm Cool Bro), than you need to grow up....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 11.18.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 11.18.01 AM.png
    240.7 KB · Views: 37

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Maps and swift key do not make a phone "cool" for me. The feel and look of a phone trumps the bells and whistles of software (Samsung does bells, whistles, and bloatware really well, but they do design horribly).

The iPhone 4-5 models have a clean, industrial look to them that will stand the test of time. Samsung models just look bad. The angles and lines are off. Because of that, I would never buy a Samsung Galaxy. And they use really tacky materials. I would take an HTC One over Samsung's flagship.

You have to differentiate between factors as to why you would use one or the other vs. cool factor. At this point, I would argue that Android wins in general, although admittedly, I haven't tried to move all of my stuff over, as I use the iPhone like an iPod on the weekends when I have my SIM card in the SGS III.

Those are reasons you might want to use an iPhone. However, in terms of "cool" and "wow" factors, they are all over on the Android side, be it the giant 1080p screen, Multiview, Google Now, Roboto, better notifications, etc.

I'd have to say that having both, and using them day to day, Android is clearly ahead in the smartphone game right now, and if the Jailbreaking game continues like it is now, my iPhone will maybe get updated to iOS7 when a JB comes out for it, and then probably live out another year or two of life, and I'll be done with the iPhone.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
When I first got a smartphone 3 years ago, it seems everyone who saw it called it an iPhone. It was not an iPhone. At that time, the iPhone was really the most well known smartphone at the time, especially amongst people who know little or nothing about smartphones. When I looked around me, most people who had smartphones either had an iPhone or a BlackBerry. You go to the mall and most people with smartphones had an iPhone with BB being second.

Now, I notice that there is a lot more variety in smartphones when I look around. The iPhone is not as dominant. Also, most people have stopped calling my smartphone an iPhone as the public is aware that there are other smartphones out there.

Now, if people would stop calling my facial tissue, Kleenex. I use Scotties. :)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Really? I see a lot of Galaxy devices now. I don't keep tally, but I'd say its about 50/50, with perhaps a slight lead on iPhone.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Really? I see a lot of Galaxy devices now. I don't keep tally, but I'd say its about 50/50, with perhaps a slight lead on iPhone.

Yeah, among the 24-30 year olds that I know, the vast majority are on Android. I saw way more Android phones when I was in college in 2008-2012 than iPhones. It may have been biased by the fact that this area is heavily Verizon (even though AT&T's network is probably slightly better and at worst about the same), so that pushed a lot of people onto the Android platform.

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
Yeah, among the 24-30 year olds that I know, the vast majority are on Android. I saw way more Android phones when I was in college in 2008-2012 than iPhones. It may have been biased by the fact that this area is heavily Verizon (even though AT&T's network is probably slightly better and at worst about the same), so that pushed a lot of people onto the Android platform.

Not so in Boston. On the T, it is about 80/20 in Apple's favor. In school (I'm in grad school right now), it is about the same.

----------

You have to differentiate between factors as to why you would use one or the other vs. cool factor. At this point, I would argue that Android wins in general, although admittedly, I haven't tried to move all of my stuff over, as I use the iPhone like an iPod on the weekends when I have my SIM card in the SGS III.

Those are reasons you might want to use an iPhone. However, in terms of "cool" and "wow" factors, they are all over on the Android side, be it the giant 1080p screen, Multiview, Google Now, Roboto, better notifications, etc.

I'd have to say that having both, and using them day to day, Android is clearly ahead in the smartphone game right now, and if the Jailbreaking game continues like it is now, my iPhone will maybe get updated to iOS7 when a JB comes out for it, and then probably live out another year or two of life, and I'll be done with the iPhone.

None of those features you mentioned are cool to me. Samsung reminds me of Dell and HP in the late 90's.....bloatware on top of Windows that ultimately made the machine work like crap.

In general, Android represents a cheap, mass produced American car. It may have better horsepower, miles per gallon, etc, but I like German cars for their precise engineering and aesthetic design.

To each his own, I guess, but Apple is a premium brand, and Android is like a Ford Focus.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Cool is way to subjective to be classified IMO. If I was a teenager I might think the iPhone is cool but at this point in my life no phone is cool.

So whoever started this thread, maybe you are just getting old. Lol

I just refinished and refurnished my office. Stood back and looked at my iMac on my desk with my iPhone plugged in on a high quality desk with a nice leather chair and said "man that looks cool!". However I doubt kids these days are going nuts over office furniture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.