Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would you rather have?

• 2mm thinner phone with rear protruding camera

• 2mm thicker phone with flush rear camera

Results are only viewable after voting.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Right. This is the standard argument for those who use cases. It never deviates though. A case will be slapped on by those who use cases whether the phone is ugly or beautiful.

Slap a case on it and the fugliness goes away. I don't use cases so this is not an option I will choose. I'd much rather Apple fix the fugliness. But for those who do use cases, when the phone is considered beautiful a case will be slapped on it and the beautiful will also go away.

Either way it becomes not about the aesthetics of the phone but about the customer's perception of the case they choose to use.
Even though i use a case so it doesn't bother me too much, i totally agree with you that apple should not make ugly phones and you shouldn't have to use a case to hide the fugliness.

Reactions: eyoungren

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Case or no case, I would prefer the phone to be thicker and for those lenses to be made flush with the back of the camera. I do think iPhone camera protuberances look less hideous than those I've seen on the competition so I can't say they're a deal breaker.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Doesn't bother me at all. If they increased the thickness slightly, I'd rather they improve the camera even further and keep the slight bump.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Not a deal breaker as I have a leather case but I rather have a thicker phone.
same for me.

i mean, other manufactures seem to flow the protruding camera a little better. why not apple? a thicker phone won't hurt, throw in a bigger battery while you're at it. it's been requested for years now. thinner is not always better. i will be up for a new one when the 7 is released but not sure (based on the rumors) if i'm going with it. I may snag a used/new 6S if i don't.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
I don't use a case and don't have a problem with the bump.

It's pretty amusing some think the phone is ugly. There's not enough to it to warrant it being called ugly. Bland? Maybe. But ugly? GTFO.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
No case, no issues.

Think the bump once got snagged on a loose thread in my pants pocket, which took a little bit of fiddling to undo, but otherwise, can't say I have encountered any issues with it.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
They should make the iPhone thicker. There would be two benefits; first, a flush camera, but even more importantly, bigger battery. Samsung increased the thickness of the Galaxy S7 for a bigger battery, and the sky did not fall. Apple needs to get over the thinness thing. I don't need to shave with my phone, I need it to last a full day's use.

As it is now, the camera is not a deal breaker for me, I use the leather case.

Reactions: Shirasaki

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I personally prefer flush camera, especially if I want to use the phone naked. However, since I will most likely use a case, it becomes a non issue (having a 6S). It is still not as pleasing as a flush camera like on the 5/5S/SE

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
I don't care about the protruding camera at all..
.I love the phone and I love iOS. And I always use a case. So neither the protruding camera nor the antenna lines are am issue.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Never been an issue for me. As long as it's a top quality camera could care less. Hopefully the camera going forward to catch up with the rest of the market.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Protruding camera is not a deal breaker for me even I don't use case.
But I hate it.
And thinner phone is a REAL deal breaker. I don't want my phone have far less battery than android counterpart. I used to love apple but now I am bound with this entire ecosystem.
[doublepost=1462154532][/doublepost]
Since most people sit their phone down face up, they probably did it to prevent this.
No. It actually cannot prevent anything. When it falls down, it falls down. Screen will crack. Phone will be scratched. Nothing different.

Protruding camera is not a deal breaker for me even I don't use case.
But I hate it.
And thinner phone is a REAL deal breaker. I don't want my phone have far less battery than android counterpart. I used to love apple but now I am bound with this entire ecosystem.
[doublepost=1462154532][/doublepost]
No. It actually cannot prevent anything. When it falls down, it falls down. Screen will crack. Phone will be scratched. Nothing different.

I was referring to the camera giving the iPhone a pivot point so it spins in circles instead of moving sideways.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I was referring to the camera giving the iPhone a pivot point so it spins in circles instead of moving sideways.
But what I see the main point of this example is phone falls down from the table when vibration is on.
Well, yours is also a good point. Phone spins. And camera is the pivot point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.