Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I didn't want to make this post but this is really my last resort because I am without a smartphone at the moment and I am getting really desperate.

But is the iphone 5 worth it since it was released 5-6 months ago? Furthermore I really wanted to get the nexus 4 but I just can't get a hold of one and certainly not for $350. I am totally at loss what to do. The reason is that I honestly really prefer android over ios. Furthermore I really really want to have a large screen and the iphone 5 just isn't cutting it. Then theres the price and finally the longevity of the iphone5. I just don't if its worth it.

Like I said this is my last resort. I don't have a lot of money. Should I just tough it out and wait for the next generation of phones

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
I didn't want to make this post but this is really my last resort because I am without a smartphone at the moment and I am getting really desperate.

But is the iphone 5 worth it since it was released 5-6 months ago? Furthermore I really wanted to get the nexus 4 but I just can't get a hold of one and certainly not for $350. I am totally at loss what to do. The reason is that I honestly really prefer android over ios. Furthermore I really really want to have a large screen and the iphone 5 just isn't cutting it. Then theres the price and finally the longevity of the iphone5. I just don't if its worth it.

Like I said this is my last resort. I don't have a lot of money. Should I just tough it out and wait for the next generation of phones

I wouldn't hold out, as you seem to be saying you prefer everything about Android-so go for Android. I don't believe the next iPhone will have a bigger screen-at least not for awhile.
I have iOS and Android phones, personally prefer iOS, but totally get why Android is doing so well at the moment.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I wouldn't hold out, as you seem to be saying you prefer everything about Android-so go for Android. I don't believe the next iPhone will have a bigger screen-at least not for awhile.
I have iOS and Android phones, personally prefer iOS, but totally get why Android is doing so well at the moment.

Theres nothing out there other than the nexus 4 which I can't get at the moment. Between the SGS3 and the iphone5 I chose. But the third option is just to toughen it out and wait. That is if I can keep my sanity.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Why wait for a next generation iPhone when you already prefer Android? Either get a current flagship Android device or wait for one of the upcoming flagship Android devices.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Why wait for a next generation iPhone when you already prefer Android? Either get a current flagship Android device or wait for one of the upcoming flagship Android devices.

Cause the answer is not that simple. Given two equal iphones, one with android and one with ios, I'd pick the one that runs android. But we are dealing with unequal phones with different features, prices, pros and cons. I thought it was pretty obvious that the answer is more nuanced.

I don't know why I should even explain this. Out of all the android phones I am only interested in the nexus 4. Give me any android phone and I'd pick the iphone 5

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Cause the answer is not that simple. Given two equal iphones, one with android and one with ios, I'd pick the one that runs android. But we are dealing with unequal phones with different features, prices, pros and cons. I thought it was pretty obvious that the answer is more nuanced.

You make no sense. What are "unequal" or "equal" phones. Unless one makes so much better calls, takes so much better photos, etc. they are both essentially computers to run an OS.

There is no Windows machine powerful enough to make me not wasn't to run Mac OS.

You are obviously an Android devotee. How much better is he iPhone that you want to run a different platform?

And in a year, both iOS and Android will have new and improved devices. But I will be able to repeat this statement every year.

In your case, I'd say wait for your Nexus.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
You already have your mind made up. You prefer the Nexus 4. No matter how much we push the iPhone 5, you will not be happy with it because you consider it your last resort and you will be stuck with it for 2 years if you pay $199-$399 for it. By the way, you won't find the iphone 5 anywhere close to $350 without a 2 year contract.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
In absolute terms, the iPhone is more than worth it. It's clearly the most finely crafted consumer electronics device out there, it works super good, its performance benchmarks overall are above any other existing handset.
However, in relative terms (namely that you have a preference for Android) getting an iPhone is not necessarily a great idea.
Now, you can always buy one and try for a week then return it if it doesn't suit you.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
For me the iPhone 5 was the best phone on the market. Its obvious there are phones out there with bigger screens and more impressive on paper hardware specs, but I still think the iPhone 5 is the best phone you can buy. If its too expensive, or you think its over hyped then buy something else. There is plenty of choice out there and its best to get what best suits your needs and budget. It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks as long as you are happy with your purchase. ;)

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
For me the iPhone 5 was the best phone on the market. Its obvious there are phones out there with bigger screens and more impressive on paper hardware specs, but I still think the iPhone 5 is the best phone you can buy. If its too expensive, or you think its over hyped then buy something else. There is plenty of choice out there and its best to get what best suits your needs and budget. It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks as long as you are happy with your purchase. ;)

Agree, +1

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
The Nexus and the iPhone are both fine devices but i'd just say wait for the Nexus 4, If you have a preference you really won't be truly happy with anything else.

----------

Absolutely.

I just switched over from the GS3 and I love my iPhone 5 so I agree as well. :D

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
By the time I am waiting for the nexus 4, I could be waiting for the next iphone or galaxy s4. We are talking about a month here. And I am not paying $350 anymore, I am paying full LG prices. In the vicinity of $500

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

I'd say don't get it.

It's already over a year behind the curve when it was new.

Phones are just advancing too fast and apple is not doing a good job at keeping up with technology. Luckily it still pays because they have people that never sees the fault in apple

Much as I love most apple products, I could never go back to iphone

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Well it depends what you want... A better ecosystem and app store on the i5 with better cameras then the Nexus 4

----------

The Nexus and the iPhone are both fine devices but i'd just say wait for the Nexus 4, If you have a preference you really won't be truly happy with anything else.

----------

I just switched over from the GS3 and I love my iPhone 5 so I agree as well. :D

Yeah i came from a GS3 as well, not to knock on Samsungs products but i wil give the S3 a 4 star rating and a 5 star rating to the i5. Big difference in quality going from a 4 star to 5 star imo

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Is the iPhone5 still worth it?
Worth is always highly subjective, regardless of topic.

The reason is that I honestly really prefer android over ios. Furthermore I really really want to have a large screen and the iphone 5 just isn't cutting it.
Seems like you answered your own question then. Buy based on your needs/wants -- not based on polling others who can and do have differing needs and wants.

In absolute terms, the iPhone is more than worth it.
There's no such thing as "absolute terms" when it comes to worth.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Worth is always highly subjective, regardless of topic.

Seems like you answered your own question then. Buy based on your needs/wants -- not based on polling others who can and do have differing needs and wants.

There's no such thing as "absolute terms" when it comes to worth.

Not really. I wish that the iphone had a bigger screen and was running android but I do love everything else about the iphone. If these two things are absolute deal breakers or not that is something I just don't know and hence I made this topic.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
To add to the redundancy, if you like Android, skip the iP5 or any iPhone for that matter. I occasionally switch between the iP5 and GS3, and honestly, the GS3 is starting to appeal more each day!

The iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone... There's nothing significantly new [ to me ] about the 5 [ over the 4S ] and iOS is quite boring now, IMHO. Having said that, I still keep coming back to my iPhone because I find it more *stable & reliable* than Android.

Can't go wrong with the Nexus 4 either...But, I personally like the GS3 better! I was going for the Note 2 initially, but damn that thing is a bit oversized for a phone, and literally dwarfs the iPhone 5!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.