Is the iPod AppleCare Worth It?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Earendil, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Title says it all!
    I'm the proud new owner of an iPod Mini!
    I'm curious if the Applecare is worth it though... yeah, $47 (edu) isn't a lot, but I'm gonna be a freshmen in college, and $47 will go a long ways :cool:

I was told it owuld cover the battery replacement, But the Apple Care only lasts 2 years... Will the battery be dead enough in two years that apple will replace the battery?!

Thanks for any advice!

Tyler

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Oh yes, it will definitely be on its way to dead by then. I'm on year 1 3/4 of my 2G iPod and it needs a replacement batt... very soon!

3. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Actually I would recommend holding off.

When I got my 3G iPod I did not get the extended warranty. The iPod ended up breaking after about 7 months. Even though it comes with a 1 year warranty, because it was past 6 months (or maybe it was 90 days, can't remember), I would have had to pay some $30 in shipping fees (ridiculous no?), but Apple also gave me the option of buying the iPod APP for $60 and then having the iPod repaired for free.

So I bought the APP for only twice what I would have had to pay for shipping, and now my Pod is covered for another 1.5 years.

Apple will always let you buy an APP as long as your original warranty has not run out, so I would just hold off, and if you have any problems within a year, or your battery seems to be dying out, THEN call up Apple and buy one.

That is my suggestion :)

4. johnkrz macrumors member

i would get it you never know what u r gonna do to your ipod. i ahave a friend whos ipod went throught the washer. well i got it and if u got an extra 50 bucks why not get it.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I am not going to get it. Mine has been going for almost a year and it still feels like it is new to me. Besides if it breaks, oh darn I have to upgrade to a 4G :D

6. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Don't waste your money. Apple will replace a dead ipod (no longer holds a charge) for $99. Your iPod will last at least two years, and will only crap out on you once the extended warranty has expired.

The only thing Apple Care is worth paying for is a portable (Power Book or iBook). Possibly also a $3,000 dual G5. The mini (or any iPod for that matter)...not at all.

save that $50 for a bag of washington stinkies, you will be much happier.

7. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

Well people seem to have conflicting advice here. I suppose the only reason I would get Apple care is because it's cheaper to go that way, than to replace the battery. So this brings up two important questions-
    A: What is Apple's policy regarding replacing batteries under Apple Care? How dead does it have to be?
    B: Does anyone know what the chances of the battery reaching that point within the two year Warranty are?

Side question-
    It appears that Apple Care only extends the warranty to two years from the time of sale. If the standard is one year, is there any good reason to buy Apple care now, as opposed to a day before the regular one year warranty expires?

Thanks guys.

Tyler

8. trailblazer macrumors member

batteries are NOT covered by applecare.
    they are classed as consumables.
    power adapters, however, are covered.

in australia anyway, as far as i know

9. starcrossed macrumors regular

I personally don't see the use of getting the iPod Applecare plan. The way I look at it is, one, the only problems that it will cover are normal wear and tear, not accidents. And two, most importantly, in 2-3 years, the iPod will have been through 1-2 generations and the current iPod will be even more amazing the one I have, and I'll probably just splurged on the latest model. I loved my 1st Gen. 10GB iPod, the first 2 years, but when the 40GB 3rd generation models came out, 2 years later, I just had to have one, so I went and bought one. By the way, my first iPod is still running well, and my sister has not had any problems with it. It probably could use a new battery if I felt the need for one, and I could just buy it for fairly cheap online and install it myself.

10. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Nope, that was my point Tyler. Wait until something goes wrong, and if nothing ever goes wrong, then you saved yourself some money.

11. gottalaugh macrumors newbie

Hmmm, good luck making a decision.....the cases "for" and "against" the iPod Apple Care are all compelling :confused: !!
    So, to add to the plethora of advise, here's my 2cents worth....

I've just bought an iPod mini & wasn't planning on getting the Apple Care with it. But the promotion they're running at the moment (in Australia) made the purchase of the iPod Apple Care a viable option:
    With the mini iPod, if you purchase Apple Care fo $99- bucks you get a free mini-dock (valued at $59-); if you buy a 20G or bigger you get the iPod remote (valued at $75-) for free. Not bad - especially as I was thinking about getting the mini-dock anyway.
    So the way I look at it is I got the peace of mind of the Apple Care for AU$40-. ;)

Let us know what you decide, I'm curious :D

12. johnkrz macrumors member

apple care does cover the battery cause it doesnt work. i would get it cause my friend tried to wach his ipod in the washer and because u can do lots of stuf to it inn 2 years. i dunno what u r like but i would go with it.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Personnaly, I prefer this. You can buy it at places like B&H PhotoVideo anytime within 30 days of purchase. $39.95 last time I checked.

14. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Yes they are. If the battery life drops below 50% of its original capacity, it qualifies for replacement.