Is The iPod In Trouble??? (Microsft Zune)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by esabourin, Nov 5, 2006.

1. macrumors member

With the zune comming out, like soon,,i'm scared for the iPod,,i'm a big iPod fan,,i remember when i bought my first mini,,now i have a black nano, and a white video,,but i'm scared the zune will ni fact become popular,,,,

2. macrumors 604

zap2

I doubt it...it might take a few iPod owners away but people know, and love the iPod. They have invested $$ in iTunes songs and videos, plus iTunes is selling SO many different things now.

Not to mention Apple's iPod line cover more people because it has a middle and a low end iPod, plus a high end. The Zune only has 1 model...if you need more then 30Gb to bad...or if you don't want/need 30Gbs, and want a smaller music player, can't get a Zune.

The Zune is to little to late...they should have made this a while ago, and never should have mayed 3 different music stores.

3. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

We'll see. For now Zune can't compete with the most popular iPods, the nano and the Shuffle as they only have a large 30 GB model. They also don't offer anything larger so the 80 GB iPod is safe for now.

So I wouldn't be too concerned with Zune taking over the majority of sales any time soon.

EDIT: zapped with the same points. :D

B

4. macrumors G4

Chundles

5. macrumors 65816

monke

Exactly.

An iPod Mini gets stuck in a toilet, everyone gets worried, and they later pull it out.

A Zune gets stuck in a toilet, people wonder how the hell a log that size came out of a human. :D

6. macrumors G4

Chundles

And they also say - damn, that's one ugly turd.

7. macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

How many of these "Is the Zune the iPod killer?" threads do we need?! Have faith in Apple. They won't give up their marketshare without a fight.

8. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Why?

Competition tends to have broader positive effects for the consumer. The Zune is in for a long drawn out battle in which the iPod has 5 years lead time (Microsoft has admitted such, and indeed is prepared to take a loss on the hardware). The Zune basically has to do everything the iPod did in 5 years and then some, in terms of building up ecosystems, drawing support from music studios, and building a customer base. Apple had the distinct advantage of building it up in pieces, small steps taken one at a time.

I don't see why the two can't coexist. The market is still young and I believe it can bear two or more companies. It's somewhat surprising Microsoft didn't go full-bore into the mobile phone market as that's where Apple has not yet ventured, and it seems to be the natural progression of all this.

9. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. macrumors 65816

monke

11. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Rubbish.

Try this.

12. macrumors 65816

monke

Nice, but what about this and even this. :)

13. macrumors member

Wow sad you must all stand up for your Ipods and your macs instead of enjoying what all technology has to offer. Zune has features the ipod does not so quit bashing Microsoft because they actually let apple have office and other applications

14. macrumors G4

Chundles

AAHAHAHAAH....

Oh you make-a me laugh like the little school girl.

15. macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

hey now, take back at least 3-4 of those A's and H's, he is right, the Zune comes in brown, which the ipod doesn't.

*my bad didn't see people have already cited this feature in the thread already.

16. EGT
    macrumors 68000

EGT

I dunno, I quite like the rubberised, two tone look to it. The menu when scrolling through Albums with the album art to the left looks good as well. I'd like to see it in person.

It's good to see in a way. Some competition will keep Apple on their toes. I'm obviously not getting rid of my iPod though.

17. macrumors 603

mrkramer

And what about this?

18. macrumors Core

Dagless

in trouble? nope. It's the next Creative. What's making it any different?

19. macrumors 6502a

Maccus Aurelius

The ipod pretty much stands up on its own. Zunes will sell thats true, however zunes probably won't have the same kind of customer service backup as the ipod does. Zunes will only be available in other electronics stores, there wont be any Microsoft stores anytime soon. there wont be TGI Friday's tech geeks sitting at a trendy "bar" giving your music player a diagnostic. Zunes will never ever even touch the nano.

Also, if the zune's interface software doesnt work on OS X, that could pretty much kill the appeal entirely for people that happen to own apple computers, such as myself. In order for the Zune to have even the slighest appeal to all present and potential ipod users, it must be readily usable on both PC and Mac platforms, like the ipod. The very fact that Windows-based PC's have itunes on it makes the zune's chances pretty slim. its possible that mostly tech junkies with money and ipod detractors will buy one, but loyal ipod users will simply scoff at it unless it has features with very useful functions that surpass the ipod's.

20. macrumors 68000

crees!

How about all the features the iPod has and that Zune doesn't? You can't even use Zune as an external HD.

Have a read: NY Times - Pogue

21. macrumors Core

i don't think Zune will endanger the iPod at all.

their billboard ads that i've seen are pathetic.

they show two people with giant words platered over them saying "Duets are better than a solo act"

huh?
    they've got to do better than that.

22. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Who says?

Consider this: For years and years, Microsoft promoted "PlayForSure" which lets you buy music with DRM that plays everywhere - with the notable exception of the iPod. Now if you invested money in "PlayForSure" songs and because PlayForSure is made by Microsoft, and Zune is made by Microsoft, you buy a Zune, then what happens? You are f***ed. Microsoft decided to produce a player that is not compatible with Microsoft products.

I don't think consumers are idiots. The Zune starts by f***ing Microsoft customers. If they do it once, they will do it twice. Buying a Zune is a guarantee for future headache.

23. macrumors 6502a

I'm still in the market for an MP3 player and don't own an ipod.

Zune will not tempt me.

All I want is a good player I can download my own CD's too- have no interest in buying stuff from itunes of MS marketplace. I want a hard copy.

I would love an ipod but not yet..

Come on apple excite us with something new please, its getting boring...

Zune, nah

24. macrumors Core

and you can do that with just about ANY MP3 player.

25. macrumors G3

Sesshi

The only thing that can kill iPod at this point in time is any complacency by Apple. They're generally on top of their competitors right now and the Zune still looks like a second-rate alternative. And the revenue-sharing scheme deserves to be stomped on. Hard. I was going to get a Zune after released but I'm thinking twice now.

That NYT article was surely biased to the iPod but I bet a lot of people will end up feeling the same way. But then, a lot of people on the other hand feel 'everyone has an iPod, I want something else'. If Sony can finally get their act together they stand to be a third and dark horse - and crippled they may be, but their stuff still looks darned good (far better than M$/Toshiba can cook up).