Is the kernel panic dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by G4scott, Oct 12, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Ok, so maybe not dead, but disguised? I got a message, a little translucent window that told me I must reboot my computer. I also saw an iMac at CompUSA with the same message. I couldn't do anything but reboot. Is this Apple's new face for the kernel panic? It seems more user friendly, but I've seen more in 10.2 than I can remember in any other version of OS X...

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what game is that?

you realize this is mac gaming right? ;)

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

hmm.. there may have been some sort of problem with the posts tonight... we'll see if this happens more...

As for the kernel panic..

Yes - the "kernel panic" is gone.... it's not a reboot screen that pops up.

arn

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's a first for UNIX. "Oh, and by the way, your system is crashing. Would you please re-boot to avoid permanent damage?" :D

5. dnte42 macrumors regular

Ah, yes, the new kernel panic. I got three of them just trying to throw away Microsoft Office after I got the first one when the updater crashed. Go Microsoft. I had to boot into 9 to cleanse my system...

6. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Sorry about putting this thread in the wrong place (unless it was a server thing) I didn't even notice where it was going. I kinda miss the old kernel panic. It made me feel like more of a geek...

7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Oh well, the kernel panic wasn't my favorite part of UNIX. I won't be shedding any tears ;)

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed with the new "calm" dialogue box. Whatever happened to putting the Fear of God into a Mac user?! "Sorry, a system error occurred" with a picture of a bomb about to explode and a restart/resume button that never worked. Now THAT was good! Or the picture of the Mac running away and lines of mysterious code... or a Sad Mac with the Hawaiian Death Chimes to greet you... those were the days! ;)

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Even though kernel panics weren't that serious as a long time mac user anything that the system generates that is white on black would make me uneasy. It probably gave too many people seizures when they associated it with a sad mac.

10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Does anyone know if the sad mac is actually dead? I know I haven't seen it since I tried to run Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0 on a Macintosh LC, but does it still exist somewhere?

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

You can still see him when you start Classic... so he's been given a stay of execution, I suppose.

12. Skandranon macrumors regular

Hahaha

"Fear of God" nostalgia... that's fúcking great, Hemingray. Had a good, loud chuckle over that one.

:)