Is the lack of 2 finger right click a hardware limitation?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swindmill, Nov 28, 2006.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I searched for this for a couple of minutes and didn't find anything. I'm just curious if it is possible to add 2 finger right click functionality to Powerbooks with 2 finger scrolling. I'm surprised there are no 3rd party apps enabling this, so I thought maybe its just not possible.

2. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Ctrl + Click

3. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Seems to me that it isn't due to hardware so much as the lack of an open sourced trackpad driver. Your trackpad can sense two fingers but it needs software for the "two fingers + click = right click" mojo.

At least thats what the iScroll webpage says. :confused:

4. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

If you use any two buttoned mouse, You'll realize it works just as fine as in Win XP. Apple doesn't want to use two buttoned mouse. That's all there is.

5. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

:confused:

Like the Mighty Mouse that ships with every Apple desktop (sans mini)?

6. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

What in the world does this response have to do with the question? I realize ctrl+click brings up a contextual menu, but my question concerned the possibility of bringing up a contextual menu by placing two fingers on the trackpad while clicking. I use this on my mom's MB and I find it to be a great feature and would like to have it on my PB.

It seems like if it were not a hardware limitation, someone would have figured out how to implement it through third party software by now.

7. nitynate macrumors 6502a

I think it is a hardware limitation. Apple would put it in with an update. Why else would it be such a big feature?

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I dont get it... I can both two finger right click and two finger scroll on my 1ghz PowerBook G4 using iScroll.

9. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Two wheels mouse. No apple desinged mouse, but any windows compatible mouse. I am using a mouse that came with my house-mate's HP and it has a right mouse click.

10. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

What? I don't understand, Apple has a multi-button mouse now.

11. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Wow I had no idea my MBP could double click with two fingers tapping the pad, I just had to enable it in my system preferences!

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Oh double finger and tapping? I didn't know we were talking about tapping...

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Have you tried iScroll2?

Attached Files:

14. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I had no idea this was possible either. I'll have to give it a try if my Macbook will EVER get through customs.

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Unfortunately, that's not gonna work.
    Unfortunately PB's that have two finger scrolling but no two finger right click ability (as his does) are 2005 PB's and are out of luck. It just burns me that Apple won't release a driver for 2005 PB's that does offer two finger right click ability because it won't be released by a third party ("the models that have scrolling built-in use a completely different, USB-based trackpad, the driver for which is not available as open source").

16. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

So, it looks like 2005 PB's are out of luck unless Apple does something. At least it is possible.