Is the Logitech MX1000 a good mouse for a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gary King, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

Is the Logitech MX1000 a good mouse for a Mac? Any experience with it? I can't seem to zoom with it, like the product claims. But besides that, it feels about the same as my previous, wired mouse. Weird.

2. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

if you have one now, and are using it, why are you asking us?

3. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Load the Logitech driver, then you may have more success.. or perhaps you read the windows specs?

As you will find out, the mx1000 is an excellent mouse.

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

For our expert opinion of course.;)

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

It's a freakin' awesome mouse. Built like a tank too.

6. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Loading the Logitech drivers stops the middle mouse button from opening links in new tabs in Firefox, so I removed that and used Overdrive X. Of course, certain things don't work, like image zoom (how the heck do you do this, anyways, with the MX1000?), and I can't click on the mouse wheel and scroll up and down to act like Page Up and Page Down anymore. Any suggestions?

Yeah, but pretty huge compared to my previous mouse. I can't see how there are so many rave reviews for it, especially on Amazon.com. But, I guess I'll have to use it for a few more days. I've used it for about 6 hours so far, and I'm starting to get into it.

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Using 2 MX1000 units side by side

I have MX1000 Laser mouse for 15" PB. I am thinking about getting the same one for 12" PB. If I use 2 Logitech MX1000 laser mice side by side on the same table (I keep my 2 PBs on the same table), does each mouse interfere the signal?

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't know, but I love mine. I don't do things like image zoom with mine, but it's great for my needs. I have buttons configured for hiding apps, navigating forward and backwards in Safari (command-arrows), etc.

Far and away the best mouse I've ever owned.

9. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Ummm... No. The Logitech MX series kills the Mighty Mouse. I've had my MX700 for around 4 years and there's been no scroll wheel drama, no loss of responsiveness, nothing! I've even got the buttons configured for games, Desktop Manager, Dashboard and Expose. I've been eyeing the MX1000 for a while now, but really really need to start saving up for other things.

11. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I tried MX1000, I think Mighty Mouse is better. Also designwise. MM FTW!:D

12. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

If logitech would only introduce a white mouse... :rolleyes:

13. HardLine macrumors member

thanks for your opinion

14. j3tang macrumors regular

There's 2 versions of the Logitech MX1000 i believe.
    One you can purchase on it's own which is IR, and the other which is part of the MX5000 desktop setup, which is BT.

I have the BT one and it's great. I've got all the buttons mapped except for the two above and below the scroll wheel. The tilting left and right of the wheel works as well.

I think the new mighty mouse would come close to it since they'll both be BT, laser tracking with up/down/left/right scrolling, but the Logitech beats it with the programmable buttons, but the BTMM wins for its design with use on a Mac.

BTW, i'm using the logitech with my trusty iBook.

I'd still be interested in purchasing a BTMM with that said ...

15. Huskers31 macrumors newbie

Beware of the laser desktop setup w/ the MX1000

I own the MX1000, and it is BY FAR the best mouse I've ever owned. However, I was recently in the market to replace the keyboard and mouse for my iMac and thought, "Gee, I didn't know there was a desktop setup with the MX1000." I bought it, after the sales rep. said that "I'm pretty confident it works with the mac," and after setting it up, relized that none of the keyboard functions worked, since the desktop is specifically designed for windows. I ended up getting the S 530 :cool: desktop for the iMac, and used the desktop for my dell:rolleyes: .

In short, make sure you read the specs carefully!