Is the Mac is a "PC" too?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stecchino, May 17, 2004.

1. Stecchino macrumors member

Everyone knows that 'PC' stands for personal computer. From all that I can tell, both my Mac and my Windows box are PC's. It is interesting how widespread the use of the term 'PC' is used to mean 'Windows-based PC.'

This is phenomenon I have long thought was strange, yet it is extremely prevalent; even some software developers use the term in that fashion.

I am not accusing the world, but I am curious...how many of you say 'PC' to mean ANY non-Mac computer?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I call my mac a pc from time to time. It is my "personal computer." But I think this is incorrect. They do call the x86 emulator "vitural pc" not "virtual non-mac pc."

3. reaper macrumors 6502

I always differentiate between my mac and pc. :D

- reaper

4. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I tend to use Mac for Apple computers and PCs for all others. It's strange, because like u stated, my mac is a Personal Computer. *shrugs*

5. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I call Apple computers Macs, but at the same time i make it a point to call it a Windows PC or a Linux PC

PC alone seems is just to broad for me

6. Stecchino thread starter macrumors member

Connectix (and now Microsoft because they own VPC) is one of the software developers that I was talking about that uses this terminology.

EA Games is another. On all of their Windows products they list on the side of the CD's jewel case "PC-CD."

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well when u say pc people assume windows flavor os
    so when u say mac people understand right away

it is a pc, but id rather call it a mac

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

PC also stood for a specific machine in the marketplace, the IBM PC.

When the compatibles started shipping, PC quickly became a generic term for the old standard IBM PC compatible machines.

Of course the class is a long way from the old IBM PC compatible machine of old, even though the BIOS is a many times patched mess that can trace it's origins straight back to those machines.

9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

macs are PC's, yet they still get special treatment... they stand out among the crowd.

Macs and PCs

:)

10. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Calling a Mac a PC isn't very PC with the Mac crowd so PC's should remain PC's and Macs should remain Macs. Do you follow? :D

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ROTFL thats awesome, made my day

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Macs are personal computers, but certainly no PC's. I think the x86 platform can "keep" the abbreviation (Piece of Cr*p) and that its good to maintain a seperation between Apple's truly unique computers, Macintosh', and the original IBM compatible PC's with poor (fast, but still lousy) architecture and inferior software (ok, so some Linux distributions and other *nix flavours aren't half bad, but still...).

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Aren't half bad? With out those awesomely developed *nixes, you wouldn't have os x. Show a little more respect.

14. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Ask the British!!

Actually, I think that is a common habit of English speaking cultures ( and maybe others ) to get lazy with the terminology.

In America for years, we had Beta and VHS. Video was a generic term used a in such a way to specify a movie (I am going to rent a video). However, in Europe, there was a format called 'Video' . I believe it was Philips with the Video2000 format. Neat bugger with two sides.

Either way, for them, to specify a video, it was in reference to a specific machine or format . So in England, the phrase ' I can't get the video working! ' more specified that the machine itself wasn't working. The American version of that phrase would have been ' My VCR is broke'.

Even today, we might say that something is available on video or DVD, still referencing the movie.

Either way, I would not get to upset about the PC assumption. While PC is meant to be a general term for a personal computer, it does reference the x86 platform. So today, instead of Beta vs. VHS, we have Mac vs. PC.

Yeah it sux,

Max.

15. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

I call my macs by their model names
    I call my windows machines "X86 boxes" or "Windows Boxes"

I try to use the phrase PC as little as possible.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I think it comes from the fact that humans are lazy speakers, in other words, PC comes from IBM-Compatible PC which was the general name for any computer that worked on x86.
    I try to use Wintel PC, which more I think accurately describes the Windows-Intel PC that is typically used.
    And I always remind people that there are more than just Personal Computers as well.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think its context-specific. :) Like, if you are talking about music apps and say something like "Pro-Tools is a PC-based sequencing package," then its okay, to differentiate the software solution from a hardware solution like a physical sequencer. Or if you say PC-based as opposed to mainframe-based or to differentiate from the client-server model.

But other than that, no...if you're talking about stuff that exists purely in the world of non-Unix desktops, then PC means wintel or wintel-esque. :( Just because that's what everyone assumes you mean.

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I noticed a lot of people saying Wintel but that is no longer really accurate since AMD has a good chunk of the market.

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I have the highest respect for most *nix systems, but I still haven't come across any flavour that taste as good as OS X. Of course there are variatons of *nix out there MUCH better then the FreeBSD that Darwin is based on, but none of them even comes close to the GUI that Apple has put on top. All in all, the ease of use, excellent design and intuitive computing in OS X makes it so much better than all the other. That's my opinion, anyway...

Edit: No edit, really

20. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Hehe true...but wut would you suggest for Windows + AMD? W-AMD? Winmd? Haha, its a bit harder to make a name that flows. AMD-XP? haha, well I tried.

21. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Maybe just a Win86 (or does that already have a meaning?)

Since the AMD chips are X86 chips.

22. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Nope

Language evolves, meanings change.

PC used to stand for "personal computer", but now it's known to be a Wintel box, or a X86 box (it could run Linux too).

To call a Mac a PC is misleading these days.

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

How much software out there is labeled PC only that won't run under linux.

PC might as well be a trademark of the beast.

24. PryorMD macrumors newbie

IBM

Wasn't the first IBM called a 'PC' ? Then subsequent computers that were clones were referred to as 'PC' compatable in relation to the IBM PC. Since the Mac was a completely different computer it was non-PC compatable, therefore not a 'PC'.

25. JamesDPS macrumors regular

I'm with you on that except I don't usually bother with model names-- I have a couple Macs and a "wintel box" which I'll occasionally refer to in print as a PeeCee -- anything to be as derogatory as possible without being overtly offensive... although while "wintel box" is derogatory, "linux box" sounds fine - weird. But the average person out there definitely understands a PC to be a windows-based pile of... that reminds me - gotta find a copy of WinXP to do a re-install since my wintel box has been crashing CONSTANTLY lately...