Is the Mac Mini Superdrive Equivalent to the 12" Powerbook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kkachurak, Jan 2, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Crazy thought.

Once I buy my new Mini, I'm planning on cracking in to it to upgrade the HD and RAM straight away.

But then I thought, will the Superdrive I currently have in my 12" Powerbook G4 Aluminum work in the Mini?

It would save me some $$$ if I could buy the 1.83ghz and go without the Superdrive and then just swap optical drives between the two machines.

Will this work?

2. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

the drive in the powerbook is much smaller then the mac mini

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, since the Mac Mini and the Powerbook G4 12 inch are built using laptop parts and technology, I feel almost confident that the two optical drives are similar in physical size.

Infact, when I cracked into my Powerbook G4 12", I poked around and the optical drives for sale on the Internet for the Mac Mini look almost identical to the drive I saw in my powerbook.

I guess what I'm really getting at is, is their a difference in the interface?

I know that my Powerbook G4 uses ATA technology to interface with the HD and the Intel Mac Mini uses SATA. Same thing with the optical drives?

4. macrumors 6502

According to OWC, Mac Mini uses the same optical drives as "Late 2005 Powerbooks"

Link: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Panasonic/MMINISL8XDL/

So, maybe it will work