Is the MacBook's Battery Good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by R.R.Mac, Nov 16, 2006.

1. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

Guys I have an iBook G4 at the moment and I get about 4 and a half hours out of it. This is great and useful for all my work. Does the MacBook have a good battery life like the iBook or does the widescreen drain it like theres no tomorrrow? i am very confused!:confused: :confused:

2. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

i usually get about three (sometimes more) out of my macbook, with wireless on and screen brightness on three-quarters (also often bluetooth mouse too).

Personally I think thats not bad for a laptop, so the answer to your question is it depends on how intensively you use the macbook.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I reckon that's pretty good. The MacBook's screen at half brightness is about the same as the iBook's screen at full. Turning off Bluetooth would make a difference too.

Mostly I hear of times around the 4 hour mark, depending on usage.

4. Cue macrumors regular

When I first bought my macbook the "estimated battery life" would be around ~4h with WiFi on.

Today, a little over 1 month (though it shows up as 2 months in Cocconut Battery ) and 26 load cycles the "Current Battery Capacity" shows us 4951 compared to the original 5200. With an EBL ~3h

It is kinda strange and makes me a little worried TBH since I have calibrated the battery twice since my original purchase (1st time aside) and I tend to use the macbook with a fairly balanced power/battery usage.

In the early weeks I would even get more than 5200 but at some point it suddenly dropped below 5100 and now steady below 5000...

5. adiosk8 macrumors regular

I get just shy of 2.5 - 3 hours running wifi and cranking out a ton of things, paralells, PS and being connected to a bunch of internet apps like skype, ichat, irc and whatever else...screen brightness on low....it doesnt need to be much higher on the glossy screens

6. Cue macrumors regular

I making this post to add that now the battery capacity shows as much as 5051 but still far off from 5200 (~ 5 weeks life).

7. R.R.Mac thread starter macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

where do you see your current battery capasity?

i cant seem to find mine.

8. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I get about 4 hours with 3/4 brightness, bluetooth off, airport on and processor performance set to normal:)

9. Cue macrumors regular

A few posts back...

10. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Any other tricks/hints on what to do, not to, to maximize life of the battery itself and/or battery usage per sitting?
    Is it best, for example, to immediately 'condition' a new battery - or do these new LiIon's really not need such?

11. mfInc macrumors member

I just got my mac Saturday. So far I have done 6 loadcycles and the stats stay as the attachment.

Is this ok? Any way to improve this?

Attached Files:

12. Simon1966 macrumors regular

Try calibrating the battery a few times. Run battery down till screen shuts down then leave in stanby mode for about 4 hours. Then attach adaptor and recharge fully. Should improve those stats.

Simon

13. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Add about 1/2 hour to that if you can work with low screen brightness, and a bit more if you turn off Airport.

Streamed for minimal power consumption (brightness 1-2 clicks from bottom, bluetooth off, airport off, Better energy settings, minimal apps open) I can get about 5 hours out of it, chugging away at the keyboard.

14. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

System Profiler -> Power

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. R.R.Mac thread starter macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

well i will try to get coconut as soon as i can but at the moment i cannot download .zip files. which annoys me. So I will have to wait a while before i can download it :( thanks for all your help!