is the magsafe 'hotpluggable'?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fade-, Oct 3, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Plain and simple question, is the magsafe 'hotpluggable'? i.e. if i turn on the wall socket before plugging it to my macbook/ or if i unplug the magsafe from my macbook without first turning off the wall socket, will that spoil my mac?

2. macrumors 68020

It's just a plug. Nothing more, nothing less. A plug with a magnet. Just do whatever with it, it won't break or hurt your computer.

Yes to your question.

3. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Either it provides power or it doesn't. When it doesn't, the computer uses battery as the power source. So yes, it is hotpluggable

4. thread starter macrumors member

i was concerned if there's some kind of power surge or etc... sorry, im not an engineer.

5. macrumors 603

Reasonable question. Yes, it is hot pluggable and the order in which you do stuff with it doesnt matter.

6. macrumors 68030

It is a pretty smart plug, it will also switch to 100% plug power with no phantom drain if you leave it plugged in...so you won't trash your battery by plugging it in like most laptops out there!

7. macrumors member

Why do you say that there is no phantom drain?

What do you mean by that?

8. macrumors 65816

MultiFinder17

The power adapter is pretty cool with whatever you do to it - just don't stick it in one of those industrial plugs that put out like 1000V and you'll be fine :)