Is the mighty mouse any good?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Scarlet Fever, Jul 27, 2006.

?

Are you happy with your Mighty Mouse?

1. im happy with mine

63 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. not impressed

37 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

im thinking of getting the BT Mighty Mouse to replace my BT Kensington PilotMouse, because my rechargable batteries dont fit properly; they arent making a connection, so it doesnt work. I can use non-rechargables, but thats pretty costly.

There isnt a lot of competition for bluetooth mice (mouses?), and Apples current offering seems to be pretty attractive.

So would it be worth it to get a BlueTooth Might Mouse? Have you had any problems with yours?

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

the Wired Mighty Mouse is very good, so I suspect getting rid of the wire is even better -- at least the wireless part of the one-button mouse was very good.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I did not like my Mighty Mouse. My main gripes were:

1) You can't hold down the right mouse button and click with the left one at the same time. You can just use one button at a time. This more irritated me when playing games than anything else.

2) The scrollball kept getting stuck and needed to be cleaned incessantly. I've had that problem with two of them.

3) More of a personal preference, I really prefer the scrollwheel with the ridges that clicks as you scroll. The ball is nice for the 360 degree movement, but it's not a feature I use too much.

4. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Mighty Mouse rocks! I lvoe this mouse, and I'm also getting the BT MM... I've had no problems, and when the BT has laser tracking... ooooh....:D Go for it!

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

"i'm happy with mine"

Nice and smooth, comfortable, looks great. My only complaint is an occasional locking up of the scroll ball which is AFAICT due to oils that come off your fingertips.

Wouldn't pay $70 for the BT model, but then again, I'd pay more for the wired than wireless, only because I hate batteries. Also, I used to have the single button BT mouse from Apple and sometimes I'd move the mouse and nothing would happen, then quickly, the cursor would fly around the screen following orders I'd given 10 seconds ago. Frustrating...

6. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

It is true that both the Apple BT Mouse and KB had connectivity and lag issues in the start, and these have been fixed with driverupdates. I can assure you, that this will not happen with the BT MM...

7. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Good to know. Was the battery issue fixed, too?

(By battery issue, I'm referring to the fact that it uses them, and they go dead after a while.) :D ;)

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Same here, I tried to like it but not being able to click both sides at once was horrible for me, also I really hate the scroller it feels too weird. This is all personal preference though I know plenty of people who love the mighty mouse I'm just not 1 of them.

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I found it weird when I tried it at The Apple Store, but trusted the reports of people who own them and have come to love them. Like most new tools, it takes some time to adapt to.

After a half a day with mine, I now love them and can't imagine how I lived without them.

NB: Given the eccentricities of these things, it might really have been best not to have people vote who haven't used them for extended periods. I suggest that the negative votes cast by people who have only played with them at the store to be quite often meaningless.

10. HardLine macrumors member

Go to your local bestbuy and wrap your hands around a Logitech MX 500, or a 510, or hell a 1000 even.

If you still want the mighty mouse then hey, i respect your choice. i know what i like and i can't push it on people.

but seriously do yourself a favor and go to a computer store, not the apple store, i mean like bestbuy, circuit city, office max, anywhere that sells PC accerories and just "feel" what a real mouse is like in your hand.

11. dbhays macrumors regular

dbhays

Ditto for me too. Maybe I am just too used to a one button mouse, but on my PC I use a M$ Intellimouse and I love that. So who knows?

12. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I voted for the negative and I used it for over a week before I gave it away. So my vote stays. ;)

13. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Mine tracks a bit strangely on some rough surfaces, the scroll wheel isn't perfect, and its not exactly ergonomically perfect. But I still love it. I actually think the two click single button is great, and the scroll ball is better than most other alternatives. It also looks real pretty too :p .

14. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Fair enough. I think you understand what I was saying. You don't fit that category at all though.

15. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I almost can't stand any scroll wheel other than the Mighty Mouse's. It's by far the best scrolling device I've ever used. That said, it does clog up after a while and needs to be cleaned. If Apple would somehow make it so that the ball comes out (through the bottom maybe?) for cleaning, that would be a HUGE improvement. I don't use the side buttons because they are far too sensitive, otherwise I love my Mighty Mouse.

16. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i had a look at them when i was getting my Kensington mouse but they were infra-red, not bluetooth, which means i have to have a USB reciever in front of the mouse, which defeats the purpose of having it wireless. Unless its possible to use them with the built-in infra-red reciever...?

17. Vster macrumors 6502

I just picked mine up last night and I LOVE it! Feels a little lighter than the old Apple BT mouse, and seems to track real smooth to me. :D

18. milo macrumors 604

The best way to describe the MM is controversial. People either love it or hate it.

I love mine, but I'd recommend going to a store and giving it a spin. Buy if you like it, not because of recommendations or polls.

19. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

20. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I love mine! Had it for almost half a year with basically no problems.

21. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

22. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

I speak for myself when I say that the mighty mouse is very uncomfortable and annoying...

I have been planning on getting a regular non-apple mouse but haven't done that yet :p

basically, the mighty mouse LOOKS nice, but it really isn't, well for me it isn't

23. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

The Mighty Mouse just sucks.

1) The Scroller Ball is frustrating and hard ever works.
    2) The ergonomics in the design sucks.
    3) Left and Right buttons hardly works as they should.

Buy a Logitech Mouse

24. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Surely it should be heavier because now it has batteries in it?! :confused:

Anyway, I'm suprised Apple didn't use sealed batteries so you have to buy a new mouse every time it ran out :rolleyes: