Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I am about to order an Apple Watch in a few hours, and I am considering stainless steel + Milanese 42mm.

Is this a versatile-enough combo for the following scenarios:

- Running
- Casual wear (t-shirts and jeans)
- Business setting (suit and jacket)

If not, is there a different combo, other than Hermes or the Edition?

Reactions: andylel

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
For me it is pretty much the most comfortable band. I wore mine for a year straight and am now back to wearing sport bands because I wanted a change.

If I did yard work, I usually switched over to a sport band. I just didn't want to sweat that much with the ML.

I would just order the ML and then pick a sport that you like. The ML works fine from shorts to a suit.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Yes, the ML is excellent. It is light and very comfortable. It looks good casual and business. For me, I prefer to run in a sport band. The sport band holds the watch much more securely to your wrist and avoids the feeling of flopping around. You can get a cheap sport knock-off for running that is pretty tough to tell from the real deal. Or just get a real Apple sport band.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It's light and very comfortable, but has an Achilles heel in my experience. It loosens up constantly, I'd find myself tightening it several times per hour. This was just in the office, I could only imagine it would be worse doing something active. I went back to the sport band for the gym, and I got a nice stainless steel bracelet for the office.

What's odd is that many don't report that it loosens, but many do. So I really have no idea what the difference is between people, maybe wrist size. I have a medium wrist at 81mm.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
I have a 3rd party one that is great. Stays at the tightness I want it but can also just slide the magnet to tighten or loosen. For example I tend to wear it fairly loose but then need it tight when I'm wearing winter cycling gloves.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Yes, the ML is excellent. It is light and very comfortable. It looks good casual and business. For me, I prefer to run in a sport band. The sport band holds the watch much more securely to your wrist and avoids the feeling of flopping around. You can get a cheap sport knock-off for running that is pretty tough to tell from the real deal. Or just get a real Apple sport band.

It's light and very comfortable, but has an Achilles heel in my experience. It loosens up constantly, I'd find myself tightening it several times per hour. This was just in the office, I could only imagine it would be worse doing something active. I went back to the sport band for the gym, and I got a nice stainless steel bracelet for the office.

What's odd is that many don't report that it loosens, but many do. So I really have no idea what the difference is between people, maybe wrist size. I have a medium wrist at 81mm.

On the note of bands, how easy is it to change bands? I'm coming from never, ever having owned an Apple Watch. Because at this rate, I might as well order a spare sport band along with the ML.
[doublepost=1476969349][/doublepost]And to add another question to this thread:

I'm in Korea, and the Apple Store's website says that sales will begin on October 21. As of this, it's 10:15PM on October 20. I've never ordered anything on day 1, so I'd like to ask: can I put in an order smack at midnight?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
It's really easy, just push the button and slide out to remove the strap and then slide the new one in in until it clicks into place.

And assuming you properly slid it back in, the strap will stay fixed in place?

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
And assuming you properly slid it back in, the strap will stay fixed in place?
Yes, the band switching is a fantastic design. It only takes seconds, and it is very secure. I sometimes swap bands 2x/day because it is so easy. I have more than a dozen bands.

Reactions: JerTheGeek

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
On the note of bands, how easy is it to change bands? I'm coming from never, ever having owned an Apple Watch. Because at this rate, I might as well order a spare sport band along with the ML.

I'm in Korea, and the Apple Store's website says that sales will begin on October 21. As of this, it's 10:15PM on October 20. I've never ordered anything on day 1, so I'd like to ask: can I put in an order smack at midnight?

Just don't get a Nylon Apple band if you want to swap around a lot. They don't click as well as all the other bands.

The only trick with with swapping the ML is making sure that you open it all the way and then try to remove it. It will bind up if you dont do this.
[doublepost=1476971268][/doublepost]

Yeah my ML always stays really secure. My leather loop flops around with the slightest hand movement.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Super easy, just press the button and slide it out, repeat on other side. Takes about 5 seconds per side.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point

I am assuming you're military due to your great english and location. Wife and I both have are military and she has been there a few times while we were living in Japan. Anyway, if I remember correctly from my time in japan and pre-ordering the 3GS through docomo (i think was the name of the phone company) you can pre-order at midnight California time. So that would be mid day sometime for you (I think it is a 16 hour difference ahead in Korea from Cali if I remember correctly) around 4pm your local time.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I have a Milanese Loop and I don't really like it for running. It collects the sweat and tarnishes ass a result. Whenever I run with it, I had to clean it at least once a week. Sport band is best for running.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I am assuming you're military due to your great english and location. Wife and I both have are military and she has been there a few times while we were living in Japan. Anyway, if I remember correctly from my time in japan and pre-ordering the 3GS through docomo (i think was the name of the phone company) you can pre-order at midnight California time. So that would be mid day sometime for you (I think it is a 16 hour difference ahead in Korea from Cali if I remember correctly) around 4pm your local time.

Not military, but I am Korean and I had to do my mandatory two years.

Just FYI, I ordered it a little past 9AM on Oct. 21 Korea time, so there may have been some changes in policy since that time you ordered the 3GS. It could be simply because 9AM is when most workplaces open, or maybe there's a different reason. Who knows?
[doublepost=1477017623][/doublepost]
I have a Milanese Loop and I don't really like it for running. It collects the sweat and tarnishes ass a result. Whenever I run with it, I had to clean it at least once a week. Sport band is best for running.

I ended up ordering SS42+ML+red sports band in the end.

Reactions: oftheheavens

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY

Just FYI, I ordered it a little past 9AM on Oct. 21 Korea time, so there may have been some changes in policy since that time you ordered the 3GS. It could be simply because 9AM is when most workplaces open, or maybe there's a different reason. Who knows?
[doublepost=1477017623][/doublepost]

I ended up ordering SS42+ML+red sports band in the end.
That's the exact combo I have.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point

That is awesome how you are required to serve your country for at least two years, I really wish that America did this as it would really help some folks get a better path towards their future. As well as just give people the sense of mattering to their country. Anyway, I may be remembering incorrectly about the time of release in Japan being based off of California time. Glad you got your reservation in though, love my SS S2!

Reactions: ManicMarc

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I ended up not liking the Milanese loop. I prefer the black link bracelet with a black sport band for my space black watch.

Yeah, I know, quite pricey, but what the heck? It's my one jewelry item.

Thinking about maybe getting a Nike sport watch as a sidekick, but not a priority.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I am about to order an Apple Watch in a few hours, and I am considering stainless steel + Milanese 42mm.

- Running

Not for running, and not if you live in a place where temperature goes below 20 degree celcius

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK

I have the Milanese and I've found out early on that it needs regular cleaning.

Obviously the mechanism works through a magnet and a rubber grip section on the inside of the band. After some use, oils and other debris builds up on the band and the rubber's resistance to grip is very slightly compromised. Once cleaned with either IPA or detergent to remove this buildup, the rubber grips very securely again and the band doesn't loosen.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2008

- Running

I have the Silver Stainless Steel AW2 with the Milanese loop. I think it is very elegant. I bought a concrete Sports band for more casual use. I haven't exercised with it yet, but will use the sports band. When i wear the Milanese loop I have a simple silver face. When I use the sports band i use a simple colored face. It looks as if it is two different watches. I think it is really cool to be able to change the face to go with a different band.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
- Running
A stainless Watch with milanese loop will be a fairly hefty combo. You'll definitely feel it on your arm when running, it might be distracting having a weight on one of your wrists.

Also, the constant motion and the heft of the watch itself might make the magnetic clasp loosen and make the pulse sensor lose contact with your wrist. *shrug* I haven't used the milanese loop, I only test-wore it (upon which it pinched my arm hairs, ugh), and it fit very securely in the store I thought, but I've no idea how it holds up in the long run and during strenous exercise, and especially if the band is drenched in sweat.

Why not, and if not this combo, what do you recommend?
I suspect it's because stainless metal gets cold when the air is frigid - having cold metal constantly in contact with your skin might be uncomfortable. If you wear a long-sleeved sweatshirt or similar while running it wouldn't be a prob tho. :)

Also, again - arm hair pinching. Maybe not a concern for you, I dunno, but I can't use metal armbands for any reason. I hate the sensation of suddenly and randomly feeling hairs on my arm getting pinched, it's a sadistic form of torture IMO...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.