Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
Morning all!

Is the new Apple TV that apple demoed at MWSF different from the old Apple TV that is available (is the hardware different)? Is the software the only difference? If you go to the Apple store today and buy one will it be the old one, a new one, or an old one with a free software upgrade coming?

Last night was the first time I had ever used Front Row on my mac and I really like it. From what I understand the Apple TV would do about the same thing, only on my TV.

I have 2 macs at my house, will both be able to send stuff to the Apple TV, or is it one mac only? Can you "sync" one mac with the Apple TV and stream stuff from the other?

I had an Airport Express that I only used for streaming music to my TV speakers, but it died...will not boot up anymore.

Will the Apple TV, with regard to remote speakers, do the same thing as an AE?

Thanks!!
Doug

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
As far as anyone knows at this point, it's the exact same hardware (different SKU though) with updated software. It's possible they might have made some changes to lower production costs or add future functionality, but as far as we've been told by Steve in the Keynote or anyone knows, no hardware changes. We'll only know 100% for sure once it's released in 1-2 weeks. The ones in the stores right now, if you can find one, are v1 and won't be v2 for 1-2 more weeks. The software upgrade to v2 is free to all v1 owners, however, so don't feel bad getting one now if you want one. I got one two weeks ago and LOVE it... so much so that we want to get 2 or 3 more for the house.

As far as Airport Express goes, the :apple:TV will play music streamed from your iTunes library if you use the :apple:TV interface - but you can't go into iTunes on your computer and select AppleTV from the list of speakers to send the music to. (Wish it did, though.) Maybe this will change in v2 - don't know yet.

Only 1 Mac can SYNC to the :apple:TV. However, it CAN stream media from multiple Mac's. Honestly, I only stream media anyway.

darkpixie08

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
Supposedly it is only the software that has been upgraded, and no hardware changes. If you go to the store and buy an Apple TV right now, it will most likely be an old one, and you will be able to download the software upgrade for free, once it is released.

I do know that you will only be able to have your Apple TV sync to one computer, and stream from others, I think the limit is 4 or 5 computers.

I don't know about the remote speakers though, someone else will have to help you out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.