Is the new eMac Apples Plan "B"?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by Rockridge, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Rockridge macrumors newbie

Without a doubt... as i predicted, the new iMac is tanking so out come the eMac...with little fanfare...

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Is the new eMac Apples Plan "B"?

except the new iMac has been a big sucess so far. If sales have slowed, its because of the economy. the pre-orders proved people like the new iMac. the eMac is there for precisely the reason apple brought it out: the education market, and realizing people like it and it allowed them to offer a G4 at a lower cost, consumers can have it to. Plan B? I don't think so. Just an unexpected bonus to increase sales in a slow economy.

3. DrGrip84 macrumors newbie

it sure seems like it so far. they've done a really pi$$ poor job of promoting both. remember all the jeff goldblum ads for the original imac? what happened? they've had like 2 commercials for the new imac.:rolleyes:

4. A. Rastetter macrumors newbie

I personally think that the eMac was introduced for education and that's how it should have stayed. I think apple made a mistake by opening it up to the consumer market since its design is so similar to the original imac.

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Is the new eMac Apples Plan "B"?

Tanked. WTF! Dude, they outsold the original. They had to raise the price, and the economy slowed so that is the reason. People love the new iMac.

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Another reason for slowing sales can be attributed to the approach of MWNY. Think about it, anyone with even 1/2 a brain (there are too many of those roaming the forums these days... :p) would wait a few extra weeks on the chance of an update coming out. Once the new models are released, if there are any, sales will go back up again. The old ones will be priced to move, to make room for new inventory, which will boost sales once again.

Just about everything sold has times where supply exceeds demand, it's just the nature of the market. Very few things ever sell at a steady rate (like food or alcohol).

Newbies... sheeesh :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :p :D :cool:

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

WTF? I think Apple was very smart to introduce the eMac to the public and how was it a mistake since the design is similar to the orginal iMac? The design is a well known design and is still quite popular. If people are buying it then how is it a mistake? I guess I just don't see your point in that statement.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The design identifies it as an Apple product without giving it more then a glance. In that aspect, it was very smart of Apple. Another part that was smart, is the use of the G4 chip and 17" display.

Apple listened to what people wanted, and delivered, as they tend to do (even if it does take a little longer then we would like).

9. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

yep... when they came out with the eMac I was like, "why the hell aren't they selling this to consumers?" I'm not in the market for a desktop right now, but if I was, I'd have a real hard time picking the iMac over the eMac (money's a bit tight right now.)

10. backspinner macrumors 6502a

Four reasons to buy an eMac:
    - it is a computer that runs OS X
    - it is cheaper than an iMac
    - it is way more child proof
    - it looks simpler

This makes it a very good computer to use at homes with children (won't break the speakers and the display). It's also better for business use (simple and cheap, big screen is a necessity). And this one is also more suitable for use on exhibitions and the like (because of it's simple and strong appearance).

11. bunton macrumors member

Plan C

Maybe Apple has plan C

To make you think that the emac is plan B and then you say oh ****!!!

But here is why not......

1-outstanding sales
    even with a bad economy, not a lot of ads and a price increase

2-How could it be plan B, the original imacs are older and that is the comparison hey???

12. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Maybe they're finally pitching the new iMac as they should have pitched the cube-- the midrange prosumer machine.

Hmm?

That 17" sure looks prosumer-y to me!

m

13. The Journalist macrumors newbie

I see it this way:
    The eMac is a G4 that's less expensive than a G3 iBook. Case closed :)

14. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Yes. True. But you're forgettings something-- the iBook features a lcd screen and a small package that requires more R&D than an eMac, which probably was an iMac reject design.

Therefore, the R&D costs are offset by the initial flood of pre-orders for the lcd iMac, combined with any education sale of the eMac. If we were talking eMac developed as the iMac (instead of the LCD for example) the eMac would be a lot more.

You make a very valid point, yes, it costs less. Doesn't mean there's not logical reasons for it. You know???

And there are. laptop comopnents are more expensive + design and research costs = higher priced ibook. Even if the iBook had a g4 500 in it, it'd still be more expensive that the eMac. So what's your point?

15. The Journalist macrumors newbie

I understand all this, but it seems goofy to have such a cheap G4 when there are G3's for more, even if it is a laptop.

You also call the LCD a feature, but i have doubts. Yes, there's not an option there for laptops...but that's off the subject

My point is: I think the eMac is great, and the iBook, nice, but ec. Nothing against it, but more for the eMac.

16. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

The last point i'll make is people pay a premium for portability. My buddy bought an iBook 600 / Combo / 20gb drive, fro what, 1500 bucks when he could have had (at this point in time before the increases) and iMac g4 700 / combo / 40gb drive and nice speakers and bigger screen for the same dinero. But he wanted something portable and is ok with the slower speed. And he edits photos. In X.

17. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Is the new eMac Apples Plan "B"?

They did? Didn't they sell like 6 million old iMacs?

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Re: Re: Is the new eMac Apples Plan "B"?

I am sorry. I meant in preorders. There were far more preorders of the new one than the original.

19. 3777 macrumors 6502

eMac

Whatever plan it is, I hope Apple brings it up to speed with a faster (GHZ G4) chip soon, when they do that I'd buy one in a second. I love the original iMac and view the eMac as what should have been the next generation iMac to begin with. I don't like the desk lamp look of the new iMac, and I prefer the CRT monitor to the LCD screen offered with the desklamp.

20. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

eMac

I'll run down to MicroCenter today and buy a new eMac, but the monitor has a low refresh rate at 1280 x 960 (?). I can see the flicker.

The iMac's screen in too small (in pixels) and costs $300 more.

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: eMac

Which refresh rate is that??? I have found that most Apple systems display best at the 60Hz rate, then again, that is with primarily ViewSonic screens.

The screen flicked in the store could be environmental in origin. Just something to consider when you see screen flicker. I have seen that happen in a number of retail locations, typically when there is another electronic device nearby, or the electrical wiring is not up to snuf.

22. Sherman macrumors regular

Like when you put 2 poorly protected CRT's next to eachother. And is also why LCD's pwn.

Can't wait until OLED's get big. So much sweeter.

23. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I want to see Apple release a low-cost Powermac just put the guts of the iMac in a Qs case stick a PCI and a AGP slot in it and call it a day

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Are you out of your VULCAN MIND???? :eek: :p :D

25. Gigglebyte macrumors member

and that has ALWAYS been the compromise when it comes to a portable vs desktop. If you want a comperable portable to desktop (say DP 1Gig) I am sure it could be made but you would be looking at a price tag of 20-30K as you would have to shrink the components down and come up with a solution to cool the thing down. So if the portable does what you want and is just that...PORTABLE then does it really matter what you could have purchased??