Is the new imac worth it!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by coolguy1382002, Jan 21, 2004.

1. coolguy1382002 macrumors newbie

I have th ability to buy a 1ghz 17" iMac for 1299 is the new 1.25 ghz worth the price difference. Would i see the difference in playing some games... It gets about 15 fps faster is that noticeable to a intermediate gamer.:confused:

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'd say the processor speed is negligible. The real feature of the newer iMac is the faster bus speed. The 1GHz had a 133MHz bus, the new one sports a 167MHz. That in itself makes a pretty big difference. Plus, you get USB 2.0.

Is it worth the extra few hundred? Depends on how hardcore of a user you are. If you're just doing light gaming, surfing, and email, go with the 1GHz. If you do a lot with your computer, I'd go for the faster model. Generally, you should buy the best computer you can afford.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

if you are a hardcore gamer i would stay away from imac or emac, if you are not into those FPs then go ahead and get it but i think new models are on the way.

4. bannedagain macrumors member

Agreed, Don't buy a current of older model G4 imac for anything resembeling a 3D game. The 167MHz FSB while faster is still rather slow, keeping in mind that the AMD chips run at 333 and 400, and the intel chips @ 533 and 800. Play the waiting game or Buy a x86 machine.