Is the new ipod´s nano hardware the same?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ryanandersonp, Oct 4, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 14, 2010
    So is the hardware the same? can someone confirm this? Also, can someone who has updated the device please tell me if there is an option to keep the clock image displaying ALL the time? Thanks!
  2. macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2008
    I'm pretty sure the clock stays on when you leave it at that screen with the latest software updates, though there are no specific options for it.

We will have to wait to see of there is any hardware changes when ifixit or someone else breaks it open. Seeing as they have the same colors and same look I'm pretty sure its the same hardware.
  3. macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    There are no hardware changes, the product codes are the same, not even a change from /A to /B.

The clock does not stay on all the time, it dims then the display shuts off.

Apple did not change any iPod hardware this year. The price of the nano dropped and the touch got a white model and a bit of a price drop.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Sep 29, 2006
    Does this mean existing iPod nano's can get the firmware update?
  5. macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2009
  6. WLS
    macrumors 65816

Jul 10, 2008
    Ifixit just did a teardown although I don't know where they got one. The only change seems to be they got their flash chips from another source. They are calling it a Gen7 but I see nothing to warrant that. It looks like a Gen 6.5 to me. The model number is incremented slightly. I've already updated mine to the latest software.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2008
    Wait does the new iPod nano software update also allow for the Nike + to get results without the extra sensors etc?
  8. macrumors 65816

Jun 13, 2009
    Parts Unknown
    They probably got it from an Apple Store because they were made available the day of the event.
  9. WLS
    macrumors 65816

Jul 10, 2008
    Were iPod Touches also made available?
  10. macrumors 6502a

Feb 1, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    last year's iPod is the same as this year's model
  11. macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2009
    Yes, the hardware is exactly the same. Still just a 6th Gen Nano. This is JUST a software update.