Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hi people,

Still trying to make my mind up over whether or not to get a new MacBook Air. I've seen that its performance will be around comparable to my 2.66GHz 2009 MacBook Pro - but what I'd really like to know is has anyone found their new Air to be unresponsive at all? For example, sometimes when I'm in Aperture on my MBP everything will become unresponsive sometimes for a few seconds. Happens in iMove quite a lot when I'm importing movies from my HD camcorder.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I only have a two days worth of experience with the new MBA, but I haven't encountered any "unresponsiveness" yet.

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
I haven't had my large apps open yet, but so far my only real qualm regarding responsiveness is that when I first go to use it, open the display and click the trackpad to "wake" it, I can't do anything for a good couple-to-several seconds. The mouse cursor won't move, shortcuts won't work, etc. Then it kicks in and everything's good.

Samsumac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I found it to be very responsive. Bear in mind that the OS plays a major role in perceived responsiveness so it may be even better once a couple of updates have gone through...

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I had about 15 tabs in safari going, which basically all had a flash banner, and safari slowed to a crawl. Screen sharing was open too..

Samsumac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
ahh the great culprit Flash... :D Safari also has a memory leak, I believe

I had about 15 tabs in safari going, which basically all had a flash banner, and safari slowed to a crawl. Screen sharing was open too..

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
I only find it unresponsive when I go back a page on Safari and it has to load the previous page.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
ahh the great culprit Flash... :D Safari also has a memory leak, I believe

Where did you read that?

Could well have been that if it's documented, because it improved even relaunched with the same windows.. but yah.. flash is still an absolute pig on os x.

Never to change.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Hi people,

Still trying to make my mind up over whether or not to get a new MacBook Air. I've seen that its performance will be around comparable to my 2.66GHz 2009 MacBook Pro - but what I'd really like to know is has anyone found their new Air to be unresponsive at all? For example, sometimes when I'm in Aperture on my MBP everything will become unresponsive sometimes for a few seconds. Happens in iMove quite a lot when I'm importing movies from my HD camcorder.

I'm getting the "beach ball" for about 10 seconds whenever I open the App Store. Other than that, it's blazingly fast.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
ClickToFlash is the best extension and plugin I've ever used. Oh my god, the difference it has made on my computing speed....

As for hold-ups... I've had a couple, but they all have to do with Air Display (sadly), which needs a Lion overhaul I believe. I'm sad since I originally liked the App so much... but it lags up and stalls the entire OS when it's running. Sigh. Now that it's off and ClickToFlash is on, this MBA is the most responsive computer I've ever known.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.