Is the official Apple Website made with iWeb, who knows ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macdon401, Apr 13, 2006.

1. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

I was just wondering if it was, I don't know...do you??
    R

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

3. 92GTA macrumors newbie

92GTA

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Nope. Probably never will be, iWeb is for the consumer who knows nothing about HTML.

AppleMatt

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Well that would help explain why Apple has to bring the entire shop site down, whenever there's a seemingly minor update :p

6. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

it seems that iWeb is leaning more toward blogging websites instead of full scale major corporations' websites so it's not likely

7. Eluon macrumors regular

I think parts of apple's site lacks uniformity. in technical writing, that was one thing that was hammered in our heads: uniformity. I realize it is a stupid, minute thing, but it annoys me!

8. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

No and no....no way with the public iWeb at least..way to complex, and then the site did not change much after it was released they properly use webobjects and other things ;)

9. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

10. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

of course

just as their promotional videos and commercials are made with iMovie

do i really need to say i'm joking?

11. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

No, but their pages could be better looking if they were done in iWeb. As of late, the Apple.com has gone down the tubes. From inconsistent page widths and styles among other things. One of these days, they should just start over with something new.

With that said, I think their prime improvements have been were it counts the most, the store.

12. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

13. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

The Online Apple Sites have the cleanest design ever! I can browse the entire Mac range in 2 minutes on the Apple Store, but then go to www.dell.com and its a real pain to navigate with all those ads and sections and 1000 different models. *shudders*

14. macdon401 thread starter macrumors 6502

macdon401

"iWebbish"

...this looks very "iWebbish" to me, and there's not a lot of Flash througout the whole site, and the site although large is very sraight dorward!
    http://web.mac.com/nelson808/iWeb/Site/Portfolio.html

heres my site made with iWeb...looks less like iWeb than Apple's...at least the home page...what do you think?
    R

15. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

16. macdon401 thread starter macrumors 6502

macdon401

"iWebbish"

...this looks very "iWebbish" to me, and there's not a lot of Flash througout the whole site, and the site although large is very sraight dorward!
    http://web.mac.com/nelson808/iWeb/Site/Portfolio.html

heres my site made with iWeb...looks less like iWeb than Apple's...at least the home page...what do you think?
    R

...sorry this is what I meant by "iWebbish" looking...!

Attached Files:

17. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Interestin' dark work. How did you do those photos? From photoshop? :p Keep up the good work!

18. howesey macrumors 6502a

That's just to kick up a fuss. Everyone here goes crazy when they do this, good publicity.

19. macdon401 thread starter macrumors 6502

macdon401

...hey, thanks, yes Photoshop and a bit of Illustrator in some...!
    R

20. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

actually this is probably more related to updating related content across many different groups of pages deep inside the website. It is easier to just say you are bringing down the entire site than it is to build away to interact with users who were trying to go back to a section of the site you just removed... And being that it is a huge site using static and dynamic content, they probably have a few clusters of web proxy cache & web server to deploy to. Who knows what their application systems requirements are...

I'd rather see a down site than be on a page in a section that is still being updated. how annoying.

21. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

It's actually made with an older version of Front Page.

What they do is create the pages in PowerPoint, then export them to Front Page.

I keed...I keed..:p

While Apple's site really ins't all that complex, it is a bit beyond iWeb's capabilities.

My guess at the tools: Good 'ol text editor. If not, then most likely Dreamweaver (non WSYWIG editting, btw).

There's a lot more dynamic things happening with that site on the backend than what iWeb would allow you to create.

22. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

I am starting to preferr this... their pages/sections still have brand unity, but each section has its own identity. Once this idea fully develops, being on sites with 10,000 of pages in hundreds of sections will be way more user friendly...