Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Ok, I've been using the M-Audio Firewire Solo and an M-Audio Audio Buddy (to get an extra mic input) for about a year now and the Audio Buddy has started to fail on me, so I am looking to upgrade the entire system. I'm tired of having to use two units to get two mic inputs (i'm usually just recording myself playing solo flute, but I like having the two mics to get stereo sound) and I really hate having to shut down my Powerbook to plug in the Firewire Solo. I was looking on the Presonus website and they say that the Firebox is plug-and-play and the price has dropped to around $300. Does anyone know if this is a good product to buy? Is it truly plug-and-play? Your expert opinions are greatly appreciated!

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
CanadaRAM said:
I'd still shut my Mac downn before plugging or unplugging any Firewire device, not worth the chance of frying the Mac or the device.
Wow, really? Any Firewire device? I thought that was just anomaly with the Solo. I had better be more careful...

iamhammill

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
York, PA
CanadaRAM said:
I'd still shut my Mac downn before plugging or unplugging any Firewire device, not worth the chance of frying the Mac or the device.

Woo. My firewire Presonus Insprire 1394 hasn't been working right lately. Can only get one input to work for recording at a time, wonder if that's the reason?

But anyways, to answer the orignal question- I'm not very happy with my Presonus gear. Mine wan't as expensive, but either way. The software is pretty cheap that came with my Inspire.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
don't have one, but...

there have been several reports in this forum re: "issues" with the Presonus Firebox, enough to make a person leery about spending that kind of money for the thing. For my money, I'd probably go with something by M-Audio instead...they have an excellent reputation.

just my opinion...

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
beatsme said:
there have been several reports in this forum re: "issues" with the Presonus Firebox, enough to make a person leery about spending that kind of money for the thing. For my money, I'd probably go with something by M-Audio instead...they have an excellent reputation.

just my opinion...
Good to know, thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll see what M-Audio has with two microphone jacks.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
i have a firepod and i use two M-audio FW 410's at my university. Both have had issues, so i would put both companies on the same ground. The presonus advantage is in their mic preamps, which are quite nice given the price. With the FW 410 it has been driver issues (though they have been ironed out) and with my firepod i get a high pitched whine from my PB when it is connected and powered on. 10 of one, half a dozen of the other. :rolleyes:

What, did yall expect me to keep rhyming with words like "rice", or "splice" or "vanilla ice"?:p

i need sleep (comprehensive exams are tomorrow...)

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
FYI: No need to fully shutdown computer for m-audio firewire devices (and perhaps others?). Just put your machine to sleep, plug in device and power it on, then wake computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.