iPad Is the red leather Smart Cover too high-maintenance?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by kylera, Mar 29, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

kylera

I got a good deal on an unopened official red leather Smart Cover, and it is currently on its way.

In the meantime, I did a search for tips on maintaining leather Smart Covers and there was a post from a couple years back talking about how frustrating it is to take care of the red leather. Does it still hold true today?

2. macrumors 603

Menel

It will wear like an old book. Darken, with oils from hands. Depends on how OCD you are or if you appreciate the patina.

I use mink oil on mine every 3-4 months, simliar to shoes, hat, holsters. It's probably 12-13 mos old now and still in perfect shape, other than the above.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Maybe I am a bit OCC. How do you carry your iPad around? Do you just pick it up and carry, toss in a bag, etc.?

4. macrumors 603

*OCD.

I don't mind it, I prefer the ageing look.

5. macrumors 65816

myrtlebee

I wish they offered a red poly cover like for the mini. The poly is much more resistant to obvious aging than the leather. I had a black leather and wound up not caring for it much- especially the way it was aging, scratching, or even the feel of the leather in general.

I'm debating whether or not to pick up a red SmartCase for my iPad 2, because when I had one before it was too loose where you could see a gap at the top through the speaker hole and also it would come away on the edges from the iPad every time you grabbed it or folded the stand- very annoying. I wonder if that problem of fit has been corrected. I have a dark gray Smart Cover in combination with a smoke Belkin snap case, which is nice, but sometimes I feel red would be a nice change as well.

6. macrumors 603

Menel

It rarely leaves home. On the rare occasion I have a small messenger bag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Generally use creased back.
    [​IMG]

7. macrumors 68000

Medic311

i had a smart case with the iPad 3 and it fit nicely

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

There appear to be third party retailers that provide red poly covers. The quality is unknown, though.

9. macrumors 68040

Giuly

Give it a rubdown with Lexol wipes once in a while and it should be fine.

10. macrumors newbie

Agreed. At a certain point, I just said "screw it" and after that point the thing started looking well-loved. I didn't see much need to treat the leather with anything fancy. It's not like they use fancy leather anyway, it's super thin and texture-less.

11. macrumors 68040

Giuly

The problem is that it stiffens and will crack in the grooves (have a look at the last pic above, it starts wrinkeling), something like the Lexol keeps it not only clean but also flexible.