Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattfab

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I only use my ipad at home, some I was wondering if the smart case is worth it, and if its comfortable to hold. A stand would be useful, and some protection would be good to, but is it worth it.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Your question is rhetorical.

When I sleep at night at home, I don't like to wear clothing. Is it comfortable a friend of mine asks me. I say go try for yourself and see.

I stripped down nekked when I go to the toilet and do #2. I also use my ipad while doing #2. Some people don't like that but for me, being nekked while at #2 is freedom.

Another example is some people like to wear condoms while others prefer bare backing it. So is it worth the risks? That's up to you to decide for yourself!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I only use my ipad at home, some I was wondering if the smart case is worth it, and if its comfortable to hold. A stand would be useful, and some protection would be good to, but is it worth it.

I use my iPad naked at home. I have a very solid stand with excellent protection at the contact points.

When I sleep at night at home, I don't like to wear clothing. Is it comfortable a friend of mine asks me. I say go try for yourself and see.

I stripped down nekked when I go to the toilet and do #2. I also use my ipad while doing #2. Some people don't like that but for me, being nekked while at #2 is freedom.

Another example is some people like to wear condoms while others prefer bare backing it. So is it worth the risks? That's up to you to decide for yourself!

Um...very interesting analogies.

Very interesting...

A tiny bit more information than I absolutely need...but interesting...:rolleyes:

mattfab

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012

Lol let me rephrase the question a little, is it worth $50 for this case alone

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012

Go on amazon and find a $15-25 one :)

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
The other cases are good too, the smart case is a little nicer. The way it props up in two different angles is nice. Is it worth it? If $50 is a big deal to you, then no it's not. If $50 isn't very much, then sure why not.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Lol let me rephrase the question a little, is it worth $50 for this case alone

It's quite overpriced... but Welcome to the world of Apple.

I really like it because it provides a very secure grip, as well as being very comfortable. Too bad Apple is so terribly inconsistent, I'd buy one for my Mini but they are not available.

Considering the Smartcase is the top seller over the Smartcover at my local Apple store, it's even more glaring that they don't make it for the mini.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
The only negative about the smart case is the edges are a little sharp after holding it for a while.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
If you're not going to be throwing it around in a back or placing it around sharp objects, the Smart Cover will do you fine. I use my iPad mainly on the couch, and it's great. Even though I don't really need a cover for protection, it keeps the screen relatively clean, and it's a wonderful stand.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

its horrible.

do not buy it. i have tried two on my iPad 3 and both times it didnt fit properly as in the iPad was loose inside and would move like a thin girl wearing xxl clothes. the edges are also too sharp and its a bitch to open.

the quality isnt very apple-like either. feels like some chinese knock off and makes the iPad look like a toy imo.

you are better off with just the smart cover imo. the apple reseller in my city even stopped selling it all together because many people returned it for its loose fit.

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
its horrible.

do not buy it. i have tried two on my iPad 3 and both times it didnt fit properly as in the iPad was loose inside and would move like a thin girl wearing xxl clothes. the edges are also too sharp and its a bitch to open.

the quality isnt very apple-like either. feels like some chinese knock off and makes the iPad look like a toy imo.

you are better off with just the smart cover imo. the apple reseller in my city even stopped selling it all together because many people returned it for its loose fit.

This

You've been warned. This person is telling the truth.

Reactions: Todd36

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I like the smart case, I like how tightly the cover fits, the ipad stays closed & asleep even while being tossed about in my backpack. I also like how grippy the polyurethane material is, the ipad doesn't slide of my bed if I should accidentally fall asleep before placing it on my nightstand.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL

You clearly do not understand the meaning of the term "rhetorical question." Do yourself a favor and look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question

This is a question that has a subjective answer. Very different.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
You clearly do not understand the meaning of the term "rhetorical question." Do yourself a favor and look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question

This is a question that has a subjective answer. Very different.

Rhetorical question:
"In simple terms, it is a question asked more to produce an effect than to summon an answer."

and to the OP: It's NOT worth the $50; there are cheaper alternatives on ebay that provide decent enough quality comparable to the OEM version for about 1/5 the cost!

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Rhetorical question:
"In simple terms, it is a question asked more to produce an effect than to summon an answer."

Right. And that is not at all what you were suggesting in your first post. Also, the question was not rhetorical in the OP.

No big deal, just trying to help you understand a common term.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
its horrible.

^^^^^^ THIS THIS THIS

i returned the smart case, it was a POS for all of the reasons you just stated above.

instead, i went onto eBay and bought a used smart cover and then a matching color rear back plate cover. total price: $19.88. i get the same functionality of the smart case WITH the option of removing the smart cover when i want to

Reactions: Todd36

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Before I started traveling a lot with my iPad I was in your position. I initially tried the Apple products but found I was taking them off all the time to use my iPad. Because I don't like scratches and have grandkids who i knew would use it I decided to go with stickers. I originally put on an iCarbons on the back and a Power Support screen protector on the front. That way I could use my iPad with the 'naked' feel but not worry about laying it down on anything. I didn't like the Apple case nor the Smart Cover at all.

When I began traveling I bought a sleeve and a separate stand. Sigh, a lot to carry. I then found the STM Grip and decided to get it. It provids a bit of protection, is very thin and comfortable to hold and has a built in two-angle stand. This is my current setup and it works very well for me.

I spent a bunch of money to find exactly what works for me. But I've updated from an iPad 1 to an iPad 2 and now to a 3. I'm quite sure when I get my next iPad I'll keep the same setup.

You have to think about what's important to you and balance that with the cost. Very hard to do because everyone has different needs and comfort levels.

Good luck with your decision. I hope you like the first one you make. If not, then remember, nothing is forever, you can change later if you decide to.

annaharris

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
San Francisco
Regarding iPad Case

It's all about providing a protective shield to your iPad from physical damages. Your iPad could get damage anywhere whether you are inside or outside your house, so having a smart case for your iPad is worth it.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
It's all about providing a protective shield to your iPad from physical damages. Your iPad could get damage anywhere whether you are inside or outside your house, so having a smart case for your iPad is worth it.

This^^

Yes the smart case is a hit and miss, many DO NOT FIT. But if you're like me just go to your apple store with your ipad and try a few if you really want to give it a shot.
Fortunately for both my wife and I our smart cases fit pretty much perfectly and we both love them as they keep to the slim factor, and they provide good grip.

Please note this: That sharp edge do get uncomfy depending on how you hold it, and I was a strong believer that this was a very dumb and pointless design flaw until one day I dropped the ipad on my hard wood floor, edge first, I observed the unit bounce. After picking it up and being conviced that my ipad was surely cracked to bits, it wasn't as that sharp edge design served as a BUMPER. Just know there is a method to their maddness.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I like the smart case, I like how tightly the cover fits, the ipad stays closed & asleep even while being tossed about in my backpack. I also like how grippy the polyurethane material is, the ipad doesn't slide of my bed if I should accidentally fall asleep before placing it on my nightstand.

This…and I like the feel of rubber-like smart case, it is easy to hold than slipped out of my hands. :apple:

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
This…and I like the feel of rubber-like smart case, it is easy to hold than slipped out of my hands. :apple:

I tend to favor leather cases so I was a bit apprehensive about this case but was pleasantly surprised at how good and secure it feels in the hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.