Is the space shuttle worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dont Hurt Me, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Shuttle doing what it does best, sitting on the ground consuming billions and still the foam which by the way cost over another billion is still not working. Its time to cancel this pig and use regular rockets to haul stuff up to orbit. Shuttle isnt reliable,isnt safe,isnt cost effective isnt even in space. Pork barrel politics that dont fly while our whole space program suffers and while the U.S. taxpayer gets the bill. Shuttle as allways showing its true colors.:mad:

2. iGary Guest

iGary

It already is basically cancelled. The new design has been approved - back to capsules, finally.

3. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its sad as heck this is what our man space program has come to. Shuttle will go down as one of the biggest Space failures in history but the worst part is they just wouldnt let go of shuttle. Those two things have cost this nation billions and billions with little to show for it. Another example of what can be if govt is put in charge of something. I can imagine what Burt Rutan could do with just the money Nasa spent on its FOAM problem alone. Im sure he would have us in low orbit for that.

Throw away the foam and throw a capsule on top of the current vehicle minus the shuttle and presto, they could do that in a year if they wanted but instead we are looking at 2012 for what is more shuttle parts plus a capsule? Thats our beauracracy, printing paper,accomplishing nothing and passing the bill off to you and me. For as much $$$ go into Nasa at the moment Govt is doing a great job killing off our Space Program. Its almost like they dont want us in space.

4. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I know this is a current event sort of......perhaps with a shuttle launch we should use these terms..a continuing current event but I think Nasa and our Govt should be held accountable for such a boondoggle that Shuttle is. We need a fast vehicle (nuclear) if we are going to start exploring the solar system. We need to be able to take on a smaller asteroid like the one that just went by us. At the moment we cant do squat,not even put a man in low orbit.

Here is the Asteroid that just went byhttp://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Large_Asteroid_To_Pass_Close_By_Earth_999.html

5. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Dude, it is clear you lack knowledge about the history of the shuttle program. To say the shuttle "one of the biggest Space failures in history" is complete and utter rubbish. As you should know, NASA is currently developing a new craft based on older ideas that have been proven. You expect it overnight, which is nonsense. You also expect NASA to stop maintaining the space station? I suppose you'd just rather let that money, time, and effort go to waste? Dude, please, keep your political comments for the political forum where they belong.

Umm, do you have some brilliant knowledge that none of the rest of us have? Why don't you call NASA and let them know your great find and explain your evidence. I'm sure they'd love to hear from an expert.

6. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dude where have you been, your utter lack of knowledge on the shuttle history is obvious,Shuttle hasnt been able to do anything promised and in case you didnt notice hasnt been even close to keeping any of its promises in reguard to the ISS. Its unable to fly thats why we have been paying the russians. Shuttle is an old pile of pooh beauracrats put together for congressional districts. Pull your head out of your arse and then you will see that shuttle is pork barrel politics that happens to fly once a year given a clear day, I wont remind you of all the people its killed, the billions and billions squandered for this low orbit 30 yr old P.O.S. that was brought down by a small chunk of foam for christ sakes.
    On a side note Nasa is still going to try to reach space with the mankiller.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

One thing is almost certain when I see these nagging problems.

If we did have alien technology hidden away somewhere, we sure haven't figured out how to use it yet.

I must agree that the space program in general would have been further along outsourced to those who can afford the risk, but then there would be no
    way to keep a lid on security matters.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The shuttle isn't a failure, it's just 1970s technology that should have been replaced already. The fact that it wasn't superseded ten or more years ago is a result of the lack of imagination and ambition that took over in the period after Apollo.

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The shuttle is fantastic and is incredibly worthwhile. It should have been replaced years ago, however. New space vehicles could have easily been developed at a far faster rate, the one problem with NASA is that since we landed on the moon they have slowed their hardware advances down to a snail's pace.

Exploration is what drives the human race and we need to get up there more and more. Countless advances are yet to be made up there, an affordable low orbit shuttle system would allow far more microgravity experiments which would lead to new technologies and understandings.

At the moment space isn't something that your average Joe cares about, back when we had the space race everyone in the US wanted to beat the Russians, the technology to travel to the moon was developed in a fraction of the time that the shuttle's replacement is taking.

I've believed for many years now that the drive into space will start to be led by a more commercial drive. The first step is space planes such as the X-Prize winners which Richard Branson wants to use for space flights. After a short while a competitor will start to do the same. Then it becomes a matter of competing with each other just as occurred between the United States and Russia. The commercial companies will want to be cheaper than each other and will want to offer more, go further. Longer space flights, higher orbits. At some point the cost of taking bulk mass to space will have dropped to an amount that would mean that a space hotel would be affordable. Competition will arise again. The owners of the hotel would probably have laboratories on board that they could lease out to Universities or industrial giants who want to perform research in microgravity situations. After a while the costs for space flight will drop and drop and competitors will go further and further in an attempt to be better than each other and this will finally lead to flights around the moon. Lunar hotels and the like could easily follow.

Its not hard to imagine this all happening. The key aspect is competition and monetary gain. We live in a capitalistic world, the future of space is capitalism too.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I think it would be wrong to call the space shuttle a failure. It merely should have been mothballed six to eight years ago.

When it was launched (and still in some ways) it was the pinacle of technology). We just found out that "reusable" spacecraft cost more to launch and put into space than conventional payload carriers like the Titan.

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Happy Independence day!

NASA's budget has been slaughtered while military research and development gets first dibs in funding.

It's hard for me to imagine why space exploration has stalled,
    unless " they " know something.

One theory is that ET's do exist and that all our major efforts are being pooled knowing that their technology is so far advanced, that our military is virtually defenseless against them.

If the human race collectively knew beyond any doubt how vulnerable we are, the powers that be would be powerless against a united world.
    The existence of ET's would also prove organized religion false.
    This would also expose the combined effort to suppress technological
    advances in energy and medicine.

Essentially, proof of ET's would tell the world that we are living a lie.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

You been wearing your tinfoil hat again? :D

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Tin foil is too expensive these days for hats, it's been replaced by the cheaper aluminum foil beanies.

Of course that could also be an alien plot, since aluminum combined with flouride seem to be an insidious plot to rot human brains from the inside out.

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I know it's almost too much to believe, but why then has our government
    been so steadfastly secretive on this matter?

Every effort to disclose the truth has been suppressed to an amazing degree.

Why is it that any hint of exposure is immediately suppressed by the military?

15. iGary Guest

iGary

No offense, but I think you have been listening to too much talk radio. ;)

16. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Remember when the world was flat?

I don't believe everything I read, but I try to keep an open mind.

We do have to admit that there is a very strong motive to suppress
    higher intelligence from other worlds.

Like I said before, it would mean that everything we have been told
    to accept is a lie.

Are we so bold to blindly assume that no one could be superior to us?

Is that it? Of all the planets and all the stars, Earth is the one place
    chosen by God for intelligent life as we know it.

17. iGary Guest

iGary

I just don't think Aliens, Predator or ET has anything to do with the shuttle program. ;)

18. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The point I was making is that funding for NASA has been cut while
    funding for military projects has few limits.

In fact why are the budgets for " black projects " classified?

19. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Don't worry, I'm sure that Will Smith will be available to save the day.

20. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

21. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I just have to comment on this, I would be pretty certain the pentagon has stuff that we wont ever hear about and they arent going to share that with a civilian program like Nasa. I would guess they are flying something at the moment that can go orbit but its buried deep in secrets. Its not like they just stopped after SR71 & X15 or rather everything went into black projects. Those two birds are from the 60s and we know how the airforce loves their birds. Project Aurora or something else that Congress has no clue about since its funding is buried deep into black projects. There have been reports and photos of something operating out of Groom lake thats a lot higher and faster then any stealth birds. I would guess they have something.

22. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I myself think there is someone else outthere hence Govts crazy reaction to anything UFO, lies,then spin,then disinformation and ridicule. Look at the big cases and you will see a pattern. Another thing is after apollo its almost like we ran back to earth with our tail behind our legs for 30 yrs with endless low orbits. I think our govt(pentagon) knows there is something else and the tech is above us as computer chips are above caveman meaning the tech would appear to us even today as magic. I can give a solid half of dozen cases that our Govt though denying cant disprove because of so much evidence,too many witnesses,radar and photography. Gordy Cooper testified to Congress that he had seen them during the war( Foo Fighters) and his crew had watched one come down land then take off right in front of them while testing a jet in the 50s. The film his crew took was sent to the pentagon never to be seen or heard from again. The Bible is loaded with stuff flying around when at the time mans only invention was the wheel.

So say we admit to another highly advance race that may be thousands of years ahead of us in this universe thats 12.5 billion years old. What would a bunch of primitives here on earth have to offer them? anything ? I doubt it plus man cant even live with man without killing each other. My guess is they are watching us like we do bugs,maybe even manipulating us like we do bugs for their experiments.

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

We've known since the late 40's that all of our weaponry and the electronic controls for that weaponry are vulnerable to Electro Magnetic Pulses.

So, it stands to reason that a priority would be placed on some defensive
    measures that could fly high enough to be unaffected by what was happening on the ground or in Earth's atmosphere.

I'm sure we'll never know how much money from our " space programs "
    are being shaved off the top to fund "black projects"

One of my reasons to suspect something greater is the obvious cooperation
    now between the U.S. and Russian space programs.

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Several problems with our space effort. First off, the public at large has a, "Ho, hum..." attitude about the space effort. Nascar and the NFL are more interesting. This is then reflected in the federal budget allocation to NASA. Next is the obvious bureaucratization of NASA itself, now lacking the "We can do the impossible with little difficulty!" attitude that once prevailed. Gung Ho done left town...

The Shuttle was an answer to a re-usable vehicle. I've no idea if there are better ideas on the drawing board, but Congress certainly hasn't seen fit to allocate money for any new R&D and/or new construction.

Question: I've seen it alleged that the the adhesive for the tiles and insulation was changed due to environmental conerns about what had been used; the "impure" glue worked better. Does anybody have any factual knowledge concerning this allegation?

'Rat

25. imacintel macrumors 68000

All I know is that I heard on the radio that the foam was no need for concern.:)